Question Any idea where I can get a WODE or a WASP?

LBTT

I know that they are no longer in production and I'm late to the party.

I know that WII boards preform better, can be cut smaller, and use less energy. I know that Wii also plays Wii ROMs. But, I don't have three unused Wii motherboards laying around (I only have the one and the other is in my Wii).

I'm going to take one of the three GC motherboards and make a portable but to do that, I need a WODE or a WASP, right? So, does anyone know where I can get one?

Also, I'd love to put a 512gb SSD in it and stock it with games galore so to do that, I'd need a WODE to read from the USB SSD, right? Can anyone tell me where to get one? Or is there a reader herein that has one they want to sell?

I know it's a long shot and I may just end up making my own custom board (not the best option) but I have to try, you know? Those motherboards aren't going to portablize themselves.

Thanks for any assistance rendered in advance,

LBTT

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Someone in the Selling part of these forums was trying to sell a wasp a few days ago. Keep in mind that a WASP will run you at least $80, whereas a Wii will run you $15, and require nothing more than an SD card for setup, and then just a USB drive for Homebrew stuff. I'd highly recommend switching to the Wii, but it's totally up to you. Once you go Wii, you never Wiitreat.

Also, if you don't have any experience with FPGAs and custom board designs, you will not be able to design your own disc drive replacement. It is a very involved process, and everyone smart enough to attempt it has moved on from the GC.

In the end, it's your choice.

LBTT

Someone in the Selling part of these forums was trying to sell a wasp a few days ago. Keep in mind that a WASP will run you at least $80, whereas a Wii will run you $15, and require nothing more than an SD card for setup, and then just a USB drive for Homebrew stuff. I'd highly recommend switching to the Wii, but it's totally up to you. Once you go Wii, you never Wiitreat.

Also, if you don't have any experience with FPGAs and custom board designs, you will not be able to design your own disc drive replacement. It is a very involved process, and everyone smart enough to attempt it has moved on from the GC.

In the end, it's your choice.
First of all, I didn't know this place has a selling forum. That's cool. I'll look there. I'm new and I only posted this because I read a similar thread from here in a google search during break to find the thing that got solved via a private sale. If this thread belongs in another location, please move it and accept my apologies for the noobness to these forums.

Yeah. I do know all the selling points on using the Wii and I did grab the motherboard from my nephews broken Wii to make a portable. But I'm still wanting to use up the GC motherboards. So, I'm going to try and make all three into portable cubes and give them out as gifts to friends.

And I've worked with FPGAs before and I'm in the process of designing my own SBC that is gamecube emulation capable. I'm sure, given time, I could do it but I'd rather just buy one.

Much better idea to just make a Wii. Trust me it will be a lot less work even if you have a surplus of GC motherboards. However if you are dead set on this I can sell you my WASP (and not for the absurd price of $80 lol)
Again, as I said, yeah, I know what the Wii offers in terms of ease of use and I know the WASP and WiiKey and all that are hard to find if impossible but for Christmas gifts to young kids, I think it's fine. Plus, it gets the GC motherboards out of my parts bin. Add in the fun of the project (even the find-the-impossible-to-find-parts part) and, for me, that's a win-win-win. So, yes, while I will be building a Wii based portable in future, I am dead set on portablizing these poor GC motherboards as gifts.

I'd love to talk to you about buying the WASP you have. I'll end up needing at very least two more, but one is a start. $80 is defiantly doable but it is incredibly harsh. Any lower price would be appreciated. I'll pay via PayPal if that's okay. PM me if you haven't already and we can discuss pricing and shipping. I'm thankful for you selling it to me.

ALSO: If anyone else has one they wish to part with or especially a WODE then please PM me. I'd really love a WODE for this project but still need WASPs for the others.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
So, I'm going to try and make all three into portable cubes and give them out as gifts to friends.
If you really think, having never built a portable before, that you are going to successfully trim 3 boards and turn them all into portables without either damaging them or them self destructing (gamecubes tend to do that sometimes, see @jefflongo) then you don't understand what you are getting into. If any beginner successfully built a portable with a trimmed gamecube motherboard destroying 2 or less motherboards, I would be very, very impressed.

If you understand the advantages of the Wii and still choose to make a gamecube "because you want to", that is your loss, and we can't help you there. But saying you want to spend an extra $80 for a modchip, $12 for a memory card, twice as much on batteries and buy more expensive regulators just to save yourself $20 by not buying a Wii, that makes no financial sense. A portable gamecube will set you back $400-$500, the gamecube motherboard being ~$5, is 1% of that. You are spending more money, working harder, and dealing with more headache all for an inferior end project.

As you can see a lot of people here feel very strongly about wii > GameCube. You could throw the cubes up on eBay and get enough another wii or two. This would save you a lot of money.

Of course the choice is yours and hopefully you’ll find what you’re looking for!

LBTT

If you really think, having never built a portable before, that you are going to successfully trim 3 boards and turn them all into portables without either damaging them or them self destructing (gamecubes tend to do that sometimes, see @jefflongo) then you don't understand what you are getting into. If any beginner successfully built a portable with a trimmed gamecube motherboard destroying 2 or less motherboards, I would be very, very impressed.

If you understand the advantages of the Wii and still choose to make a gamecube "because you want to", that is your loss, and we can't help you there. But saying you want to spend an extra $80 for a modchip, $12 for a memory card, twice as much on batteries and buy more expensive regulators just to save yourself $20 by not buying a Wii, that makes no financial sense. A portable gamecube will set you back $400-$500, the gamecube motherboard being ~$5, is 1% of that. You are spending more money, working harder, and dealing with more headache all for an inferior end project.
Okay. I'm going to be a little nicer to you than I normally would be because I like this forum and I'm new here and I would like to stick around for a bit longer. First of all, simply because my builds aren't posted here, doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm NEW here, buddy. I haven't posted much of anything here, yet. So you start off super condescending. I would like you to know that I've never had a project fail on me yet.

Look, buddy, just because I'm not building MY project the way YOU would want me to doesn't give you the right to berate me. How about you make YOUR projects to YOUR specifications and allow ME the privilege of doing the same with MINE. Do you see how that works? I don't have to justify my choices to you or anyone else but even so, I posted my thoughts on the Wii in the FIRST post and every other reply has been about what I had already answered. I am making a GameCube portable. Yes. It's because I want to. Do I need any other reason? Yes, I KNOW, as I have said four times now, about the advantages of the Wii board but I don't want Wii functionality in this particular project I am building. All I care about is GameCube. And, buddy, it's my money to spend how I want. It's my project to build how I want. I don't ever remember asking for your input into that portion of it. I merely asked for help finding a part I need. That's the topic at hand. Anything else is your opinion and I'd rather not hear it.

The amount of assumptions you make is infuriating to me. You're a rude and condescending person who should probably keep their comments to themselves. Especially when I have already answered the things you've said three times already and you didn't even add anything constructive to the topic of the thread at all.

And as to quality: if your GameCube portable was of low quality, I would say that speaks more to the builder than the build.

As you can see a lot of people here feel very strongly about wii > GameCube. You could throw the cubes up on eBay and get enough another wii or two. This would save you a lot of money.

Of course the choice is yours and hopefully you’ll find what you’re looking for!
Yeah, well, I don't care about their thoughts on it. If I desired Wii functionality with this build, I would have gone for it, but all I really care about with this build is playing GameCube games and lower. I can't help it if overgrown children can't comprehend that fact.

Yeah, I'm really hoping to find a WODE because I'd love to load the full GC library to a SSD and play from that. As far as I know, the WODE is required for SSD loading.

Finally, on an unrelated side note, has anyone ever heard of someone water-cooling a GameCube portable before?

Okay. I'm going to be a little nicer to you than I normally would be because I like this forum and I'm new here and I would like to stick around for a bit longer. First of all, simply because my builds aren't posted here, doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm NEW here, buddy. I haven't posted much of anything here, yet. So you start off super condescending. I would like you to know that I've never had a project fail on me yet.

Look, buddy, just because I'm not building MY project the way YOU would want me to doesn't give you the right to berate me. How about you make YOUR projects to YOUR specifications and allow ME the privilege of doing the same with MINE. Do you see how that works? I don't have to justify my choices to you or anyone else but even so, I posted my thoughts on the Wii in the FIRST post and every other reply has been about what I had already answered. I am making a GameCube portable. Yes. It's because I want to. Do I need any other reason? Yes, I KNOW, as I have said four times now, about the advantages of the Wii board but I don't want Wii functionality in this particular project I am building. All I care about is GameCube. And, buddy, it's my money to spend how I want. It's my project to build how I want. I don't ever remember asking for your input into that portion of it. I merely asked for help finding a part I need. That's the topic at hand. Anything else is your opinion and I'd rather not hear it.

The amount of assumptions you make is infuriating to me. You're a rude and condescending person who should probably keep their comments to themselves. Especially when I have already answered the things you've said three times already and you didn't even add anything constructive to the topic of the thread at all.

And as to quality: if your GameCube portable was of low quality, I would say that speaks more to the builder than the build.

Yeah, well, I don't care about their thoughts on it. If I desired Wii functionality with this build, I would have gone for it, but all I really care about with this build is playing GameCube games and lower. I can't help it if overgrown children can't comprehend that fact.

Yeah, I'm really hoping to find a WODE because I'd love to load the full GC library to a SSD and play from that. As far as I know, the WODE is required for SSD loading.

Finally, on an unrelated side note, has anyone ever heard of someone water-cooling a GameCube portable before?
When I first started doing my searching that was essentially my goal as well, just to build a GC portable, as I didn’t care about wii functionality either. I just wanted to do a GC portable. I was in search of a wasp or something similar when I decided it was going to be much cheaper and easier for ME to start on a Wii. I am still using it with the goal to have something to play GC games and lower. If it works out better for you to run with you Gamecubes the go for it!

You should make some worklogs and post some of your other projects you’ve done as well some time.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I mean, if you have the time and money to build three GCPs and give them away as gifts then I'm sure you have the time and money to pull that off too.

We're trying to help. Shank isn't a pompous jerk, he's just a guy who has told people that same thing over and over again because there is no practical reason to build a GCP. I understand that you feel differently, and that's up to you. We had no reason to assume that you had any sort of experience with these kinds of projects. We get at least 3 people a month that ask about where they can get WASPS, and every single time they have don't truly understand why no one builds GCPs anymore.

Most of us have to deal with budgets and limited amounts of time to work. We tend to assume that everyone else deals with the same problems, and that's why we say the things we say.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables

First I'd like to say that I personally believe that gamecube portables aren't without merit, and should not be entirely replaced by wii portables. I have mad love for gamecubes, and do plan on making at least one more gcp in the future (having made both a gcp and a wiip). So please consider my response here as being impartial in terms of what your project may be. I have no reason to be biased on what portable you should make.

That said, if you want a portable that plays GameCube games and below, with the ability to play games off of a larger capacity storage device, the wii is in fact your best bet.
-It's going to be extremely difficult to find three wiikeys and wodes, whereas the wii uses a regular usb port.
-A wii portable can play gamecube games and below, just like you want, BUT with the added bonus of better emulation and virtual console games (meaning access to the n64 library and others)
-You don't need to play wii games on it, you don't need a wii remote to use it, and you never need to see the wii menu if you don't want to. In fact if you leave Bluetooth off of it, it becomes a gamecube portable with better emulation.
-The heat generation in wiis is lower
-The power consumption in wiis is lower (better battery life)
-The wii is significantly smaller
-It won't randomly self destruct as others have pointed out.
-It's obviously cheaper due to the wiikey issue

If you want to make a gamecube portable, I say go for it. I would love to see three new gcps out in the world because I do believe they have an intrinsic value. However, if you believe them to be cheaper, easier, smaller, more capable, or more efficient than wii portables, you are mistaken and should read the above information again.

I'm not telling you what to make, I'm simply giving you the facts to do with what you want. I also have no way of knowing your level of skill since, as you mentioned, your builds aren't posted here. The reason everyone is saying wii wii wii is because we have to assume you're new to the scene, and many people (myself included) start out not knowing about the advantages of the wii.

That said, I genuinely hope that you're as good as you say you are, because burning your bridges by your fourth post doesn't speak well for you. Calling people "overgrown children" isn't exactly the right foot to start out on.

LBTT

However, if you believe them to be cheaper, easier, smaller, more capable, or more efficient than wii portables, you are mistaken and should read the above information again.
I tried so very hard in my first post to avoid this. I posted that I was very aware of the concerns you've posted about. I don't think they are cheaper or easier or more capable. I know they are less efficient. I posted all of this out of the gate. I made it known, or at least tried to, that I had this information already. I was aware of it. I honestly don't understand why it's an issue as I've addressed all of your points in every post on this thread. Just go back and read it for yourself. Why it persists is beyond me.

That said, I genuinely hope that you're as good as you say you are, because burning your bridges by your fourth post doesn't speak well for you. Calling people "overgrown children" isn't exactly the right foot to start out on.
If any bridges are burned here, the gasoline poured on it came from the other side. I went out of my way to explain that I knew the information and that guy still ended up yelling at me about it like I was a child. It was underserved vitriol on his part. If that's how new member on, by that time their second post is treated here I might just want to finish my open transactions and get out as soon as possible.

I just can't fathom how you all think that giving me the information that I, myself, stated in my first post in this place is in any way helpful.

I found this forum while searching for a wode or a wasp. It was on of the first results. I saw that a guy posted and actually managed to find one so I thought I'd try it. I noted the crumbs and posted a similar thread in the same location. This is all that happened. And now here we are. It really isn't seeming as nice a place as I first thought.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I know I'm just sticking my hand an open flame here, but here goes...

If you haven't figured this out by now, Shank will advocate Wii portables over Gamecubes til the day he dies. It's become a bit of a running joke. I wouldn't take it personally because he gives the same spiel to everyone else who utters "GCp". If you want to make portable Gamecubes, by all means, make portable Gamecubes.

First of all, simply because my builds aren't posted here, doesn't mean they don't exist.
That's an excellent point. I'd love to see your work and I hope you decide to stick around long enough to share it. Only thing I wanted to mention here is that there are a LOT of new members who show up and their general attitude is, "these portables are so cool I want to learn how to make them!" I'm sorry you got the reception that you did but unless you show some of your current/past work or are known from another modding forum, most people won't know to differentiate you from the other eager new members.

Lastly, you could probably build 100 excellent Gamecube portables and still get one person during your 101st build asking if you're going to switch to Wii. Don't take it to mean they think you're doing something wrong. Treat it like the little pop-up window that asks you to confirm when you try to delete a file.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
tbh if Shank kept his mouth shut there'd be no Wii portablizing

"I may just end up making my own custom board"
"I would like you to know that I've never had a project fail on me yet."
well damn dude what do you even need BitBuilt for

"Okay. I'm going to be a little nicer to you"
"You're a rude and condescending person"
I want you to know that everyone else in this thread has been way nicer than you probably deserve

Anyways, the funniest shit about people making gamecube portables is that for the same price as you're likely to find ONE wasp, you can buy an entire Wii, and for the same amount of wiring the wasp needs you could probably complete the Wii portable. Everybody with a brain has moved on from the gamecube. Yeah we've supported people in the past but honestly, it's a huge waste of money and time to dick with, and as a community there's no reason for us to support that decision.

The most telltale sign of it's irrelevance is the fact that the only trimming guide we have for it has been photobucketed and there's been no public outcry to restore it.

Anyways, you're in luck. You can get a modified gamecube that has full compatibility and all the hardware to load games through USB or SD for like $20. Here's a link with more info.

Portables
sin(π)
This could've been marked as "Solved" a helluva lot sooner if someone just said, "They don't exist anywhere, they're all gone. Build a Wiip instead." Especially if LBTT is looking for 3 of them.

LBTT

tbh if Shank kept his mouth shut there'd be no Wii portablizing
You're point being, what? Just because he's done things, even if they are awesome, doesn't allow him the freedom to berate someone who has already said the exact same things as him earlier. That's my only gripe. I was already aware and had already stated my understanding of the differences between the Wii and the GameCube. At that point, there was no reason for his vitriolic rant. I had all that information before I posted.

"I may just end up making my own custom board"
"I would like you to know that I've never had a project fail on me yet."
well damn dude what do you even need BitBuilt for
Didn't you read my post? I came here for one thing only: to get the parts I need to finish my builds. The damned things won't boot games without a disk drive bypass which is why I need the WASP. They aren't made anymore so I need to get them from a private sale. So I have three portables that are useless without them. That's what I need BitBuilt for.

"Okay. I'm going to be a little nicer to you"
"You're a rude and condescending person"
I want you to know that everyone else in this thread has been way nicer than you probably deserve
He's the one that got rude with me first. I didn't. Just because I'm building GC portables doesn't mean that's a wrong decision. Just because I need a final part to finish them off doesn't mean that he gets to take the piss out of me. Especially when I was upfront about the knowledge I have concealing the Wii versus the GC.

Anyways, the funniest shit about people making gamecube portables is that for the same price as you're likely to find ONE wasp, you can buy an entire Wii, and for the same amount of wiring the wasp needs you could probably complete the Wii portable. Everybody with a brain has moved on from the gamecube. Yeah we've supported people in the past but honestly, it's a huge waste of money and time to dick with, and as a community there's no reason for us to support that decision.
I don't need your support except for the buying and selling community you have here. And I already have everything for the GCPs except for this last bit. Looking online shows few sources. This was one of them.

You people jumped on me even after I stated plainly that I knew the information already. Thanks for being redundant but I got it already. You all can bugger off now. I don't need you to tell me the specs of the Wii again. I don't need you're links to the Wii wiki page. All I need are the three WASPs I'm after (still really hoping for one WODE for my friends, but meh, I knew it'd be a real stretch when I started the builds).

just get a psp
I have every SONY handheld that's come out. I even put a Raspberry Pi w in the shell of one of those things. It worked surprisingly well after I remade the back plastics into a solid piece.

If you haven't figured this out by now, Shank will advocate Wii portables over Gamecubes til the day he dies. It's become a bit of a running joke. I wouldn't take it personally because he gives the same spiel to everyone else who utters "GCp". If you want to make portable Gamecubes, by all means, make portable Gamecubes.
I hadn't figured it out yet because he ranted his redundancy all over me after my second post here. One heck of a way to get new members to stay. That's okay though, I've found the three WASPs I need here and after those sells are finalized, I don't foresee myself using this forum as resource any longer. You seem like a pretty okay guy though.

It really is the over redundancy of the replies that bother me so very much.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Yeah, being on BitBuilt is like going into a grocery store. You just want those frozen pizzas, but we're going to advertise our fresh bakery items. Because frozen pizzas are bad. You're still going to buy them, because you're stubborn. We don't really care. You can complain about all the advertisements. We still won't care.

With any luck, you'll try those fresh bakery items, realize your mistake, and burn those frozen pizzas with Aurelio.

Thank you for shopping at BitBuilt! It hasn't been a pleasure doing business with you!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You're point being, what? Just because he's done things, even if they are awesome, doesn't allow him the freedom to berate someone who has already said the exact same things as him earlier. That's my only gripe. I was already aware and had already stated my understanding of the differences between the Wii and the GameCube. At that point, there was no reason for his vitriolic rant. I had all that information before I posted.

Didn't you read my post? I came here for one thing only: to get the parts I need to finish my builds. The damned things won't boot games without a disk drive bypass which is why I need the WASP. They aren't made anymore so I need to get them from a private sale. So I have three portables that are useless without them. That's what I need BitBuilt for.

He's the one that got rude with me first. I didn't. Just because I'm building GC portables doesn't mean that's a wrong decision. Just because I need a final part to finish them off doesn't mean that he gets to take the piss out of me. Especially when I was upfront about the knowledge I have concealing the Wii versus the GC.

I don't need your support except for the buying and selling community you have here. And I already have everything for the GCPs except for this last bit. Looking online shows few sources. This was one of them.

You people jumped on me even after I stated plainly that I knew the information already. Thanks for being redundant but I got it already. You all can bugger off now. I don't need you to tell me the specs of the Wii again. I don't need you're links to the Wii wiki page. All I need are the three WASPs I'm after (still really hoping for one WODE for my friends, but meh, I knew it'd be a real stretch when I started the builds).

I have every SONY handheld that's come out. I even put a Raspberry Pi w in the shell of one of those things. It worked surprisingly well after I remade the back plastics into a solid piece.

I hadn't figured it out yet because he ranted his redundancy all over me after my second post here. One heck of a way to get new members to stay. That's okay though, I've found the three WASPs I need here and after those sells are finalized, I don't foresee myself using this forum as resource any longer. You seem like a pretty okay guy though.

It really is the over redundancy of the replies that bother me so very much.
This is a public forum, everyone chips in. Sometimes that means being told the same thing 4 times, but it's your responsibility to keep calm and read on.

If any of your WASP purchases fall through (assuming this isn't a twelvie tactic to make us feel jealous), I have one WASP with SD slot and FFCs, and one WODE chip you can have for the cost of shipping. Just tone down the autism a bit, and take my advice: Before you post something angry, take half an hour to chill and then re-read what you were about to post. I guarantee you'll cringe hard at your prospective rant.