Another G-BOY Fan

DMDBOY

(First thread, hope it’s in the correct section)
Just want to start out saying how much info and knowledge I’ve accumulated over the last month since I saw a few Gman’s videos showing the G-BOY off and absolutely fell in love with the idea of Portablizing a Wii (as most of us here im sure). Soon after I also discovered that the G-BOY had been discontinued, but since I’ve seen such an amazing community here at BitBuilt I have the necessary drive to start a project of this caliber even though I have no extraordinary soldering skills.
I am still in the middle of accumulating bits and pieces, but I basically have all the necessary parts except for the PCBs. So I do have a few doubts in that respect.
Would the PCBs being sold nowadays at 4layertechnologies still work and fit in the G-BOY case or would they need different wiring?
I suspect that these would still work or might even be the same ones used originally:

joystick breakout boards
Pms-pd-2

But I do see differences in the GC+2, U-AMP 2 and the RVL-PMS-Lite or the RVL-PMS-2. I also seem to be missing a replacement for the shoulder buttons PCB…
Do any of the PCBs from the Ashida set work or fit?

If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m quite new to the scene but would much appreciate any light you could shed on the matter, and can’t wait to see it come to fruition.
If I am able to accrue everything on my BOM, I would love to share my progress with all you amazing folks.

P.S. I have been looking around in the forum, and would like to ask if there’s anything resembling a second hand marketplace for the portable Wii’s or parts needed for them.

Thanks again, hope you all have an amazing day

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
While the case for the G-Boy is open source, the custom PCB adaptations for the GC+, U-Amp, shoulder button breakout board, as well as the original PMS-PDv1 are not.

The boards sold at 4Layertech will not natively fit in the G-Boy case, you would need to tweek screw posts and build custom PCB adaptations for the GC+, U-Amp and shoulder breakout boards. Someone on the forums / discord server is working on something along those lines at the moment, but I'm not sure of the progress / if they want to release the files.

Regarding your other question, the Marketplace section of the forums is perfect for buying / selling anything portablizing related!

If you're looking for another beginner-friendly portable that you can use all the 4LayerTech boards in, check out the Ashida! It uses some additional PCBs to make the assembly process really easy. You can also check out the G-Wii v2.5 or the Louii Twoii, they have also been adapted for the 4LayerTech boards.

Welcome to the community, I hope some of this info helps!

DMDBOY

Sure does! I will look into the PCB adaptations and will try to find any OG G-BOY PCBs being sold in the marketplace.
Tip of the hat