Discussion An introduction project

Hi everyone, I just joined Bitbuilt and I’m excited to try my hand at the GBoy. However I have no experience with the inner workings of electronics and fear i’ll just break it if I jumped right in.

Do any of you experienced modders have any suggestions for an easier or cheaper first project which could help me build the necessary skills?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Buy a quality iron (personal preference is Hakko FX888D, Weller WLC100 is also acceptable if you want something cheap), buy some good solder and flux as well. Recommend Kester 63/37 solder, Kester 951 flux. Get some tweezers, and various types of wire (suggest 34-38awg magnet wire, 22 and 26awg insulated stranded wire, 30awg wrapping wire). You'll also need a Dremel and various grits of sandpaper.

In terms of practice, you could start with a Wii mini, pretty cheap to make while still giving you the practice with Wii to prepare for the Gboy.

Ryze

Hey everyone, I just joined BitBuilt yesterday and I want to make a portable project, preferable a Playstation 2 portable. I already know some things and have some pictures of how to make it. But I need some things like a soldering station, wires, good(cheap) 3D printer and where can I find the button PCBs.

I recommend fine tuning your soldering skills with soldering practice kits you can find online for cheap. Thats how i learned, and i found it pretty fun!