Alvaro’s first wii portable!

Alvaro

Portables
Hey guys im Alvaro! my gboy kit is coming very soon so im getting started on the wii trim. can anyone verify that its fine! im about to start sanding. thanks! edit: added the final product pic

Attachments

Last edited:

Alvaro

Portables
i have relocated the chip. will this work? its really ugly. i havent soldered in a WHILE and it was harder than expected because of how small it was. can someone also do a detailed explanation on how i should check if everything works. thanks!

Attachments

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Your U10 looks pretty good. The connection to the via looks a little shotty, but if it's a solid connection, no harm no foul.

I'm assuming that:
A) You letterbombed and installed bbloader on this board before you did the trim
B) You sanded the trim with 220, 320, 400, 600 and 800 grit sandpaper.

Before you wire any kind of power, you want to ensure that there are no shorts between any of the voltage lines. There is a detailed guide on how to do that here:

Once you have ensured all those resistances look good, you can test the trim by wiring power from the PMS and composite video to the screen.

Alvaro

Portables
Your U10 looks pretty good. The connection to the via looks a little shotty, but if it's a solid connection, no harm no foul.

I'm assuming that:
A) You letterbombed and installed bbloader on this board before you did the trim
B) You sanded the trim with 220, 320, 400, 600 and 800 grit sandpaper.

Before you wire any kind of power, you want to ensure that there are no shorts between any of the voltage lines. There is a detailed guide on how to do that here:

Once you have ensured all those resistances look good, you can test the trim by wiring power from the PMS and composite video to the screen.
i modded it w bbloader and i sanded all the way up to 1500 actually. i will try testing the voltage lines today/try and figure out because in pretty new at this stuff. thank you!

edit: how do i measure the if there is any shorts? am i suppose to put the multimeter on continuity or resistance check? I am putting the black probe to ground and the red to each of the things i circled in this pic i attached and i dont get anything back when i put that to the 3.3v. the numbers are completely different to.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/wii-trim-resistances.2602/ this wasnt very helpful im not sure why but when i downloaded the file there was not data nothing there. i opened in google sheets. sorry if im a hassle, just new.
pic.png

Last edited:

Alvaro

Portables
update: i think i measured the resistances right. they are somewhat near that of the rvk 02 spreadsheet on the link. not sure what im suppose to be looking for but i think everything is good. the only thing i noticed is when i connect the 1.15v to the 1v for continuity a number pops up but no sound which is weird, im just clueless someone could tell me what that it please. and lastly i wasnt sure how to test 1.8v anywhere bc the wii trim guide show that as a main voltage line but the resistance spreadsheet has it? anyways thats all for now while i wait for the gboy kit, extremely excited!

Someone could correct me

You are checking the resistance to see if it matches or at lease close to the chart Nold made. If there was a short, you expect the resistence to be waaay lower.

Again, You are not checking for continuity. Continuity will sound if there is 0 resistance ( so its a good start 1.15v and 1v have some resistance in between)

use this figure for better voltage points.

DSC_0013_copy_display.jpg

the 3.3 is where the red wire is connecting.

Make sure you check out any youtube video about how to use a multimeter!

Good luck!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Brainskin is right, with the exception that continuity mode triggers a sound if the resistance between two points is under a certain resistance, typically around 50ohms but the threshold could be higher depending on what meter you have. Resistance mode will give you an exact reading of the resistance between your lines. Since some of the normal resistances are around 100-150ohm iirc, using continuity could lead to misidentifying a normal resistance as a short.

Alvaro

Portables
Someone could correct me

You are checking the resistance to see if it matches or at lease close to the chart Nold made. If there was a short, you expect the resistence to be waaay lower.

Again, You are not checking for continuity. Continuity will sound if there is 0 resistance ( so its a good start 1.15v and 1v have some resistance in between)

use this figure for better voltage points.

View attachment 14507

the 3.3 is where the red wire is connecting.

Make sure you check out any youtube video about how to use a multimeter!

Good luck!
Brainskin is right, with the exception that continuity mode triggers a sound if the resistance between two points is under a certain resistance, typically around 50ohms but the threshold could be higher depending on what meter you have. Resistance mode will give you an exact reading of the resistance between your lines. Since some of the normal resistances are around 100-150ohm iirc, using continuity could lead to misidentifying a normal resistance as a short.
ok cool that info helps a lot. when i measure resistance yesterday i was getting numbers kind of close to that but some where like 2k ohms up on what the chart says. is that fine, what is the +/- threshold of being fine? if so i think everything is good and i now just have to wait for my kit :)

Alvaro

Portables
hey guys its been a while and i have been busy but i got my kit last month and have just gotten around to starting it! this is my progress so far, got the fan up and running.
im confused on how to check the pd charging tho, i dont want to fuck anything up. do i need the battery in to check it? i have multimeter set on 20vdc and i have to touch the chrg pad and gnd pad correct? nothing came up maybe i have to have the battery in. anyways yea thats what ive done so far today! was fun but ill continue tmmrw :D

Attachments

Alvaro

Portables
after a very very long hiatus because of life, i have returned to tackle the project. but ive run into an issue. my ground wire to the display came off to poor soldering and i ended up with something ugly trying to put it back on. im not sure if i permanently damaged C147 so ill attach a picture. will this cause anything? and are there alternative gnd points i can solder on because im really having issues soldering it to c147. thanks !

Attachments

Alvaro

Portables
well i got my question answered via discord but still had issues with the ground point and my wire was to short to reach any other gnd point (i was going to use the screw post metal, i think you can do that). anyways i kept trying and i had it on for a bit and it broke! i now have it on again and hope the joint doesnt break lol... i tested gnd points by continuity of one known gnd point which is how you do it i think if anyone can correct me. anyways i kept working and i have the power wires soldered up. one thing i found weird was soldering the gnd point on the pms that was stated in the guide which meant a third wire would be on one gnd point. it made the pad quite chunky. not sure if the other gnd pads will be used by the end of all the wiring. but w/e i have done a lot of progress and all that is left to be able to test my trim would be to connect video which ill do tmmrw! fingers crossed, i trimmed it so long ago idk whats gunna happen! i cleaned the board with alcohol since it was so dusty haha.

Attachments

Alvaro

Portables
after two hours of doing the video and dataline because they were so small, WE GOT POWER AND I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY!!! so much joy its indescribable that everything is working :)))))). i was almost frustrated because it didnt work at first, but i had to change the source haha!

Attachments

Alvaro

Portables
never posted on here but i finished it! lotta troubleshooting red channel for vga becausd im dumb. atleast the audio wiring went really smooth and easy haha. anyways here my pics even though i didnt really update much here. big thanks to all the people on the discord who put up with me and helped me! it was a pleasure :) now im going to beat wind waker haha

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nice work, glad to see you finished it!