Alternative custom regulators

Liquid

Okay, so i see that everyone is using those PTH08080 regulators, the thing is, where i live it's impossible to find those regulators and the closest i could find are some called "mini360", they're dirt cheap and they do 1v to 17v with 1.8a max output.
I bought one of these to test some stuff and the first thing i did was accidentaly plug it in backwards and it let the magic smoke out
Has anyone tested those and are they any good?
here's a couple of pics of it.
mini3601.PNG
mini3602.PNG

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
they're dirt cheap
And that's about the performance you'll get from cut price regulators like those. Cheapo regs tend to overheat like Huskies in Summer when they get within a mile of their listed maximum current. We use PTH regs because they're high quality and they work. You can try the cheapo imitations, but 99% you'll be disappointed in the performance, or damage the console. Better to save up for longer and pay for PTH8080s from Digikey or Mouser, or perhaps find someone willing and able to middleman ship them out to you.

Liquid

And that's about the performance you'll get from cut price regulators like those. Cheapo regs tend to overheat like Huskies in Summer when they get within a mile of their listed maximum current. We use PTH regs because they're high quality and they work. You can try the cheapo imitations, but 99% you'll be disappointed in the performance, or damage the console. Better to save up for longer and pay for PTH8080s from Digikey or Mouser, or perhaps find someone willing and able to middleman ship them out to you.
Well yeah, the thing is it's impossible to get them here, it's really hard to import them here because the customs here want you to pay like 50% of the value of the product + handling + shipping and they also need a lot of paperwork making importing 2 of them like 60$ and i'm not really comfortable having someone send stuff here and all.

There are other alternatives like the RT8272 that are twice the price of those "mini360" (still sort of cheap), havent tested those but they look fine and can handle 3a max

And then there's the Xl4005 and LM2596, i have tested Those and they work great but they are a lot bigger than the RT8272 or the mini360

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well yeah, the thing is it's impossible to get them here, it's really hard to import them here because the customs here want you to pay like 50% of the value of the product + handling + shipping and they also need a lot of paperwork making importing 2 of them like 60$ and i'm not really comfortable having someone send stuff here and all.

There are other alternatives like the RT8272 that are twice the price of those "mini360" (still sort of cheap), havent tested those but they look fine and can handle 3a max

And then there's the Xl4005 and LM2596, i have tested Those and they work great but they are a lot bigger than the RT8272 or the mini360
That's a difficult position to be in. I guess you'll have to risk the imitations and try to find something that works.

You could always try the cheap ones. It could work if you get lucky. If they are as cheap as you say they are, it won't hurt to buy a couple and try it.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I tried them with the Wii. They suck, they get very hot and they shut down after a bit

Liquid

I tried them with the Wii. They suck, they get very hot and they shut down after a bit
hm that's what i thought, i'm gonna buy a couple of the mini 360's and a couple of RT8272 and leave them running at full load for a couple hours, i might get away slapping on a heatsink on the RT8272 if it gets hot

Last edited: