Advice on choosing a new iron

JacksonS

Portables
I have owned the first one (Weller Analog Soldering Station) and it was great for about a year until the heating element died. It has a nice, very flexible cable attaching the iron to the station.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I haven't owned either, however I can say hakko is a reputable company. Both of these have the screw on bracket that holds the tip on the heating element, so you may need to put some thermal paste or something inside the tip to increase the thermal contact from the heating element to the tip itself. I did this on my iron (a radio shack one, same kind of tip) and it made it go from 450c barely melting solder to 230c being plenty for most jobs.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Cheese suggested the thermal paste thing to me a while back and I can confirm its awesome. I have used it on all of my soldering equipment since and the performance increase is very noticeable.

Well thank you for the tips my radioshack irons heating element died which is why I am looking for a replacement I think I am going to go with the Hakko iron and if that starts to wear down I might try the thermal paste tip

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I would say go with the Hakko and put thermal paste in it as soon as you get it. It'll make it noticeably more effective

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It's also possible you burned out your heating element from running it really hot to make up for the lack of thermal contact, as most irons aren't really meant to run at max temperature for long.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Take the opportunity as well to build some good habits like wiping your iron and turning it off when you're not using it.