Question Adding Headphone Jack to Amp?

GC64

Portables
It is stereo for anyone still wondering. I've decided to leave out the headphone jack on this project because of the clicking issue that seems impossible to resolve. As Luke said, I think the issue has to do with the amp. I'll use a more documented amp next time that's confirmed safe to use with headphones (I would just get a new amp, but I don't have time or money to redo the audio portion of this project).

Fiskers1208

BANNED
It is stereo for anyone still wondering. I've decided to leave out the headphone jack on this project because of the clicking issue that seems impossible to resolve. As Luke said, I think the issue has to do with the amp. I'll use a more documented amp next time that's confirmed safe to use with headphones (I would just get a new amp, but I don't have time or money to redo the audio portion of this project).
you can salvage a audio amp from a stereo speaker. I recommend using the ILuv smashbox pro, all you have to do is to connect the amp to L, and R audio, then connect the amount of volts to the amp, then connect ground on you motherboard and that's it. you can add a spdt switch to turn off the speakers when your using the headphone jack . use the jack I mentioned, and connect L+, r+, and ground to the motherboard. your welcome

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
From personal experience, I would actually avoid scavenging an amplifier. It's true that many good ones can be found inside portable speakers, but many are mislabeled. If you get a brand new one, it won't have epoxy or solder on it, and you can read the reviews on the circuit board rather than the overall product. Like I said though, that's just based on what I've seen.

The problem with those portable speakers is that they have two speakers fixed close together, so lots of manufacturers know that nobody will know unless you're trying to hear a difference. A good idea would be to check out Gman's thread on things he commonly buys to see which amp he prefers.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

EDIT: I just reread his post, and I wanted to say that what you want is a switching headphone jack. You should not have to manually turn off your speakers when you plug in headphones.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
you can salvage a audio amp from a stereo speaker. I recommend using the ILuv smashbox pro, all you have to do is to connect the amp to L, and R audio, then connect the amount of volts to the amp, then connect ground on you motherboard and that's it. you can add a spdt switch to turn off the speakers when your using the headphone jack . use the jack I mentioned, and connect L+, r+, and ground to the motherboard. your welcome
No.... just no.

Don't use one of those, they are pretty bad IIRC. You don't want to have to switch the amp off when you're connecting speakers...

Please don't give out information when you clearly haven't done all of the research required. Especially if the person is going to waste their money on the stuff you recommend and it sounds like shit.

Fiskers1208

BANNED
No.... just no.

Don't use one of those, they are pretty bad IIRC. You don't want to have to switch the amp off when you're connecting speakers...

Please don't give out information when you clearly haven't done all of the research required. Especially if the person is going to waste their money on the stuff you recommend and it sounds like shit.

Fiskers1208

BANNED
LMAO Tchay is the last person you want to take portablizing advice from.

He once had an issue with his headphones where when he plugged a pair in the whole unit would turn off.
really? wow. Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Sounds similar to how my first portable would just shut off if I turned the volume up over 1/4