A RPi Portable Made Out Of Hemp - The HemPi

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
As some of you might now, i've visited @nobble & @Postman (and a lot of other folks!).. anyways, we worked together on this project for nearly two weeks...

What came out is a great mixture of meme & usability! But see yourself:
hempi_on_the_missesippi.jpg

We called him, "The HemPi".. long story short: the local 3d printing store had hempfil-filament in stock! And nobble already had some woodfil, so we combined both. The hempi also has a nice meme holder un the bottom.

Here are the specs:
- fully custom designed & 3D printed case
- printed using a mixture of hemp & wood containing filaments
- Everything on screw posts, making it easy to assemble (except audio amp & retropsu sadly)
- Raspberry Pi 3 - Model A
- All ports & sd card easily accessible from the outside
- 2.2inch SPI ILI4391 display
- 1.7Ah Battery (1.5h battery life when playing mario kart 64, while pressing A)
- Charging & PSP Analog Stick via RetroPSU (I2C)
- Digital Buttons directly connected to RPi GPIOs
- Single/Mono Speaker
- Buttons, Joystick and Volume controller are handled by the OneForAll-Software .... fork that i fixed

The Buttons are also custom designed & printed in wood or hempfil. After printing we sanded everything to perfect smoothness!

hempi_case_front.JPG

hempi_back_final.jpg

The logo on the back was easy to find... but i don't know how many night i spend on that god damn shoulder buttons... but man, this portable feels so good! It's small, it''s powerfull and all buttons are tuned perfectly. I really love everything about it's ergonomics. Also the hempfil just looks really awesome, but it doesn't smell at all.. (sadly)

protodoggy.JPG

For more crazy memes, check out the video i made for the hempi:

Here are some more pics... but be careful! one of them contain the WORST THING you will ever...
... oh, nudes!

internal_case_hempi.JPG

internal_screen_hempi.JPG

more_hempi_nudes_1.JPG

more_hempi_nudes_2.JPG

... EAT!
WHITE_CASTLE_is_the_worst.JPG

Anyways... Nobble, Postman & Nold went to whilte castle! (just for the memes, it was really bad - lol)

... prototype?!

hempi_protos.JPG

protopi.JPG

protomissesipi.JPG

All in all I had awesome four weeks in the wiild west! I met sooo many awesome ppl.. i don't even know so many in germany!.. lol

I miss you all & hope we'll meet again soon! (maybe M(eme)GC2020?!

Last edited:
This is hilarious, literally made me LOL haha. I like how the total time of the video is 4:20 as well haha. Great job and what a unique and original portable design!