Solved A question that I figured out, sorry for the spam!

Hey all at BitBuild!

First of all; sorry for being yet another guy with 0 experience asking questions that are probably so simple to most others. Secondly; thanks so much for checking out this thread! Thirdly; another apology if this thread is in the wrong location!

First off I should let you all know; I’m completely new to circuits and before I really dive (sink) into this project; I’m going to be practicing by modding a GBA with the full list of modifications you can buy from “RetroSix”. (I’m from the UK). This is to get me used to soldering to circuit boards (I’ve soldered my guitar jack a few times and the power supply on my guitar amp once or twice) but circuits are so small in comparison; I’ll certainly need the practice.

I’ve checked out the guides on the OMGWTF trim and the voltage regulators guide, although I’m no expert; the steps seem relatively simple (relatively being a key word there), at least I feel I can say; I understand the way voltage, amps and wattage works and what I would need to do to get a trimmed Wii to power on (relocation of U10, Bluetooth needed for Wii games, soft modding process, yadayada).

I’ve watched a ton of videos on YouTube regarding different builds and one process has me scratching my head a little! That’s linking a controller. A video I watched by a user called “Darshaz” snapped a cheep GameCube controller to bits and ended up scratching off bits of the circuit board to solder to trims off a DS’s controller. After more scouting on YouTube I came across the presentation video for the “Ashida” build and it’s links to the “4layertech” website and it’s products and realised, a lot of what I’m learning has already been partly done thanks to the efforts of users on here (Here’s another thanks for all the hard work!).

With all that out of the way (another apology for the long winded into). Regarding the products on sale on the “4layertech” website; in layman’s terms what would make my job far easier and why?…

all that tripe for such a simple question.

I’d like to know a few shortcuts here and there before I get into the nitty gritty. I have a sneaky feeling the GC+ 2.0 is the thing that’s gonna make connecting a controller far easier than scratching away at a GameCube controllers circuit board.

Once again I’ll apologise for my ignorance and long winded introduction to the question.

Also; a final thanks for reading all of this. Whoever you are; you’re an absolute legend!

Take care BitBuild peoples!!

The PMS-2 and Lite add custom regulators for your Wii, they're very handy for any project as they provide all the voltages needed in a small compact chip.

The GC+ 2.0 is ussed for Gamecube Controller emulation, and it's very handy with the variety of breakout boards for it around. Remember that all you need for a Gamecube controller to work with a Wii is Data, 3.3v, and GND. 5v is optional for Rumble.

The U-Amp is an audio amp which can be wired up to get nice audio out of your Wii.

The Ashida Board "pack" are for an Ashida Portable build, and it provides ALL the boards required, such as controller pads, a breakout board for U-Amp and GC+ 2.0. It's pretty much the closest thing to a kit since the Gboy Rev 3 got discontinued.

And then of course you have the Driver Board and Display, which can be used for any project you need, but is meant to perfectly fit the Ashida.

If there's anything I missed feel free to lmk.

Just realized that this was solved, oops.

The PMS-2 and Lite add custom regulators for your Wii, they're very handy for any project as they provide all the voltages needed in a small compact chip.
These will save me a bunch of time looking for the components from various websites. I found the following components that should work (big thanks to g-man).

PTH08080WAH (the board)
ECE-A1AKS101 (100uf cap)
CF14JT75K0 75k (1v)
CF14JT30K0 30k (1.15v)
CF14JT2K00 2k (3.3v)
CF14JT330R 330 (as close to 5v)

Although the wiring and size is a downside. On eBay all together they’ll probably cost me as much as the PMS-lite (not including delivery). Probably easier I just get that when they appear in stock next!

The GC+ 2.0 is ussed for Gamecube Controller emulation, and it's very handy with the variety of breakout boards for it around. Remember that all you need for a Gamecube controller to work with a Wii is Data, 3.3v, and GND. 5v is optional for Rumble.
This thing should save me having to manually scratch away at a GameCube circuit board to solder a different controller to right? Hopefully I’ll be able to use a different controller, I’m thinking of making my design as close to the Wii classic controller as possible (ya know only fatter with a screen), I’ll probably be taking the buttons out of a third party one and hopefully I’ll be able to solder directly to it from the GV+ 2 for the inputs. (I’ll probably opt for the joycons thumb sticks too) they seem a smaller size and the connectors othat website seem good to work around.

The U-Amp is an audio amp which can be wired up to get nice audio out of your Wii.
Audio and video isn’t something I’ve payed too much attention to yet, but if it increases the quality of my build I’ll look into more of that when I get round to it.

The Ashida Board "pack" are for an Ashida Portable build, and it provides ALL the boards required, such as controller pads, a breakout board for U-Amp and GC+ 2.0. It's pretty much the closest thing to a kit since the Gboy Rev 3 got discontinued.
The Ashida build really is something! I love the form factor and it’s similarity’s to what some people consider to be the BEST controller out there! Reminds me of a giant Wavebird, if I ever build one I’ll make sure I don’t frisby it onto my bed once I’m done with it!

The g-boy is what brought me here (only to find out it’s been discontinued) but thanks to all the unique designs I’ve seen I’ve felt pretty inspired to make my own design (and copy the design of another official peripheral lol).

And then of course you have the Driver Board and Display, which can be used for any project you need, but is meant to perfectly fit the Ashida.
This is the cheapest I’ve seen! I’m gonna try and see how small I can get this thing using the OMGWTF trim (in the hope I can roughly keep the dimensions of the Wii classic controller (or as close to; similarly to GingerOfOz’s Wiiboy Color design change). Although the LMOA trim and that Omega trim look amazing (probably biting off more that I can chew with those two though)

I’m thinking of going for a 4:3 ratio screen, a little smaller than the size of the widescreen one on that site and I feel would keep then best aspect ratio for the games (some games still don’t quite look right when forcing widescreen or stretching) and I always played those games on an old CRT with a 4:3 ratio.

You’ve been a big help, if you have the spare time; would you be able to share some alternate links to other components and peripherals I could gawk at?

Thanks again (again)
And sorry (because why not, I’ve already apologised a dozen times already and I’m getting into the habit)

You’ve been a big help, if you have the spare time; would you be able to share some alternate links to other components and peripherals I could gawk at?

Thanks again (again)
And sorry (because why not, I’ve already apologised a dozen times already and I’m getting into the habit)
Unfortunately I'm only in the process of building my Ashida and haven't really looked at alternate components, so I can't really give you any alternate links. But the Bitbuilt Discord will definitely be able to provide you those links. I'm super excited to see a design similar to a Wii Classic Controller, that would be so cool! (You could even go the extra mile and butcher an OEM Wii Classic Controller and use the OEM Buttons, Sticks, and Membranes ;) )

Unfortunately I'm only in the process of building my Ashida and haven't really looked at alternate components, so I can't really give you any alternate links. But the Bitbuilt Discord will definitely be able to provide you those links. I'm super excited to see a design similar to a Wii Classic Controller, that would be so cool! (You could even go the extra mile and butcher an OEM Wii Classic Controller and use the OEM Buttons, Sticks, and Membranes ;) )
No worries at all, I’ll probably find them myself eventually.

This is actually the reason I want to use the classic controller, maybe I’ll use the sticks to keep it looking “official”. I suppose it all depends on space. I’m still in the process of planning at the moment. I also have a few bits to learn on the circuitry itself. Thanks to all the guides on here I feel I’m on the right track!

Thanks for the kind words!