Discussion A possibly better voltage regulator I've found

Hey there! In most tutorials I can find on custom regulators for wii trimming refer to the "PTH08080" as the regulator of choice, however, I think I've found a better alternative! It's called the "NSR003A0X4Z" and from what I can tell, it's better in a few regards. It's smaller than the PTH at 0.41" L x 0.31" W x 0.65" H (10.4mm x 7.9mm x 16.5mm), however digikey counts the in headers in that, which are easily removed. It should also have more output power too, at 3 amps instead of 2.25. Let me know what you guys think of this.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member

Looking at the datasheet, those dimensions are of the PCB, not including the headers (the headers add an additional 3.3mm). It's 2.3mm smaller on the width, 1.2mm larger on the length, and 0.2mm smaller on the thickness. For the extra 1$ish it would be worth it if we needed the additional amps, but since the most current on any voltage is still less than 2A, it's not much of a gain compared to the PTHs or fully custom reg boards.

However, this may be useful for PS2, since that has a voltage line that draws 3ish amps. @Gman would know more