Worklog A laptop style portable wii

Pierre

So I have spent some time to get everything working like I want it to, and designing the case to hold everything.

I have a donor laptop, 15.4" for the screen, and an lcd driver. I am not trimming my wii.

My machine will also have an old android box, so that it has more uses than just a game box.

Batteries is 5 18650 batteries with cc charger and bms, and 2 buck converters for 5V (android box) and 12V for the wii and screen.

I am also reusing the speakers from the laptop.

So far, I have this...

Attachments

Portables
Gamecube has a handle, right?
That looks like a really cool project!

You may actually want to either trim the Wii, or at least use custom regulators, because the stock regulators on the Wii are relatively inefficient. The use of custom regulators could actually help extend battery life when using the Wii.
With that and mod to the screen driver, you may actually be able to get rid of the 12V buck converter altogether and just use something like an RVL-PMS or PSU for your whole power system.

Pierre

The custom regulators are planned, but I do not have them now, and staying in Namibia the lead times to get stuff is terrible.

Keeping that in mind, I decided on a 5 cell battery to see if I can get around 2 hours gameplay, which is more than enough seeing that I want to limit screen time for my kids a bit as well.

Then again, dad will probably be the only one playing on it all the time :)

Pierre

Interestingly.

As I finished this post today the dhl guy phoned to deliver my small buck converters.

This means I will be bypassing the stock regulators after all it seems.

Pierre

I have already finished building my 18V battery, but decided to do an 11.1V 6 cell battery.

I will have a buck boost converter for charging from anything from 9V to 24, limiting current at 1.5A to extend the battery life a bit.

The LCD can then be powered directly from the battery, buck regulators will replace the stock ones, and I will have a switch to select between the android box and wii. I will make a psu for all that...

yonfro

Very good design, what kind of interface do you use for the monitor?

Pierre

Did some tests.

I get 2 hrs 15 minutes per charge. Thats exactly where I want it to be.

Pierre

So, work got in the way, and I have to go out of country, but when I return I will start the next one. It will be a trim.