Question A couple of questions from a newbie

I'm planning to make my first portable wii and I have very little knowledge of electronics. I found a lot of useful information on this forum, but I still have some questions.

The portables I've seen they usually have up to 4 battery cells, would it be possible to increase this to 6 for an extended battery life?

Is the analog sticks and analog triggers from the Wii classic controller compatible with the gc+ board? I like the gamecube controller, but i feel that the design will be a little intruding with my design language.

I also plan on using a vga video signal, but I couldn't find any guide on how to connect it to the display board.

I'm grateful for this community and you've really sparked my intrest in portableizing and electronics. Please be kind to me.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm planning to make my first portable wii and I have very little knowledge of electronics. I found a lot of useful information on this forum, but I still have some questions.

The portables I've seen they usually have up to 4 battery cells, would it be possible to increase this to 6 for an extended battery life?

Is the analog sticks and analog triggers from the Wii classic controller compatible with the gc+ board? I like the gamecube controller, but i feel that the design will be a little intruding with my design language.

I also plan on using a vga video signal, but I couldn't find any guide on how to connect it to the display board.

I'm greatful for this community and you've really sparked my intrest in portableizing and electronics. Please be kind to me.
If you are using the RVL-PMS from the store, it takes as many batteries as you want to put in parallel. So you could use 6 or even 10, but in practice, your portable will be very heavy and bulky with that many cells.

Yes those parts are compatible.

The display driver will have an input for VGA, you simply connect RGB and the 2 sync signals to the input on your driver board. It will usually be printed on the silkscreen, but I can't say without seeing the board.

Beans

Welcome!

Q1. It's certainly possible to have 6 cells, but it's kind of impractical. The 18650 cells must people use are somewhat large and heavy, so *portability* can be a bit more difficult to achieve. You'd probably want a 2s3p configuration (2 cells in series to get ~7.4 V, and 3 parallel cells to increase the total capacity).

Q2. This I don't know. I don't *think* so though, because GC+ 2.0 requires seperate connections for each button. Everything is on one PCB for a standalone controller.

3. In the definitive Wii trimming guide and FAQ, you'll find where to grab the signals you need. For VGA, you'll need R, G, B, Hsync, VSync, and GND. I must stress that you need to be careful when soldering VGA! You'll have to use very thin wire, and the pins on the AVE chip are extremely fragile. I broke the pins on my first try...