Solved _o f f i c i a l l y_d e a d_ i n s i d e_

Bakuku

Portables
Those other two actually look better... But do need some cleaning. Find a pin on the controller chip thats 3.3v and gnd... There are several. Multimeter if they are shorted or not. Start there.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Sand the sides with some sand paper if they're shorting out your Wii. That's about the only thing that'll do it.

Mumble

Portables
Holy crap. Dude I went to plug them into the wii, the first one was holding the R trigger (which may or may not be fixable), second one there were no inputs. My only problem is, is that there is solder all over the second one, which means the chips look like they're all connected to one input...Know anyway to remove solder?

Bakuku

Portables
Desolderbraid... If not available, strip a multistranded wire, add some solder grease to exposed wire ( you may expose a large portion) hold in front of solder with your iron closeby, melt solder and drag towards wire... Wire will absorb solder. Repeat until pins are no longer fused. Periodically cut of exposed wire that has absorbd thin and expose new and grease.

Good luck

Mumble

Portables
Alright...One more thing. If I put my finger on the bottom left of my smash controller, it acts just fine and mario is in his idle pose. Anything that I can do with that?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
you're probably just shorting pins or something... Controllers freak out when they don't have the sticks and sliders hooked up to them

Mumble

Portables
Alright. Should I try with the smash controller again or hold up and wait...

JacksonS

Portables
Use flux if you're absorbing solder with a solder braid.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah no, don't use flux with braid. If you only have flux, just put a bunch down (preferably liquid) and run over it lightly with your iron, it should pick it up. Same concept as drag soldering when you're trying to get excess off.

Mumble

Portables
Alright. For now I'm just going to test out the theory of The joysticks / analogs. If this is the case, I'll stick with the smash controller. If not, I'll find a way to remove the solder off. I'm still confused on how to solder to inputs like the "A" button, because the solder wont stick to the copper after scraping the paint. The analog sticks I may / may not have a problem with.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Oh boy...
Hey, that's my line :P
If you're really short on materials and desperate to get it done quick, you can just heat up the solder and blow it off (you have to blow hard though :P) . Just remember solder is hot, so don't blow it onto yourself

Bakuku

Portables
Do you have solder grease? Or are you just smearing solder over a wire and the connection?

Mumble

Portables
Honestly.
I don't know what I have, I'm "borrowing" ;) stuff from my dad.

Mumble

Portables
I don't get it. I tried soldering the analog stick. I'm still getting no input.

Mumble

Portables
I've watched Rated E Mods 2 at least 20 times.