Solved _o f f i c i a l l y_d e a d_ i n s i d e_

Noah

retired
Portables
Maybe for my first portable I shouldn't trim the board to the console...
Your first electronics project should probably be something a little smaller than a portable
If you want wiis though, you can get cheap wiis from me, tested to make sure they work :P
Yeah, take Cheese's advice. I joined this community in 2010 and tried to do a portable as my first project. Took me a little over a year and various attempts to build one.

Yeah, take Cheese's advice. I joined this community in 2010 and tried to do a portable as my first project. Took me a little over a year and various attempts to build one.
Ouch. Rip me then. I remember asking you the same question in teamspeak a couple of weeks ago and you said go for it :XD:

Jokes aside, I think the Wii is one of the easiest console to portablize since we got those godlike guides from the bitbuilt staff (thank you!).

Though I can't comment on the scene in 2010 like Noah did, it is my understanding that portablizing has gotten much easier today due to new technology and super helpful guides that even noobs like me can understand.

Unrelated, @Mumble damn what camera are you using for those pics. Thats some special kind of potato you got there :)

Noah

retired
Portables
O
Though I can't comment on the scene in 2010 like Noah did, it is my understanding that portablizing has gotten much easier today due to new technology and super helpful guides that even noobs like me can understand.
Yeah, back then it was all hotglue and wiring everything by hand. Surprisingly there was a time before people used squishy tacts and GC+ boards haha. I don't know that anyone really used custom PCBs with the exception of maybe Marshall.

We've got some really cool stuff coming to the store in a couple of weeks that will help with issues like this as well so just hold tight.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Yeah, back then it was all hotglue and wiring everything by hand. Surprisingly there was a time before people used squishy tacts and GC+ boards haha. I don't know that anyone really used custom PCBs with the exception of maybe Marshall.
Portablizing has been a hotglue + wires expense for quite a while. Now is a good time to get into portablizing because of all the custom board stuff that's coming out making everything a breeze :P

Mumble

Portables
Ouch. Rip me then. I remember asking you the same question in teamspeak a couple of weeks ago and you said go for it :XD:

Jokes aside, I think the Wii is one of the easiest console to portablize since we got those godlike guides from the bitbuilt staff (thank you!).

Unrelated, @Mumble damn what camera are you using for those pics. Thats some special kind of potato you got there :)
I'm using an LG K10. It's a potato pretty much. I'll see how my other phone looks.

Mumble

Portables
I'M DONE. I'M ABSOLUTELY DONE. ALL 4 CONTROLLERS.
ALL OF THE WIRES AND NOT ONE INPUT. *sits in corner and cries*

Mumble

Portables
solved the problem, my soul is disintegrated.
(Not really, thanks Noah for the GC+ Controller :D)

Bakuku

Portables
Noah said:
Me around the same time and I remember My first Portable Cube took well over a year... I did push my limits tough from the start.
4 Regulators, 4 player support, Av out, batteries and so on. Now I won't do a Portable without Max possible features.
Even my latest V2 got a quick Sd-Gecko on Slot B because I convinced the Buyer he needed it lol :D

Mumble

Portables
Hold on hold on hold on. Before I come to any conclusions on this all being done incorrectly due to my dumb brain, how is silver bearing solder for soldering to things like a GameCube controller, or electronic circuit boards in general?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I use 62/36/2 Silver-Bearing Solder. Works just fine :P
I do have a really thin spool though, 0.015" diameter, since most of the points I'm soldering to are rather small

Mumble

Portables
I use 62/36/2 Silver-Bearing Solder. Works just fine :P
I do have a really thin spool though, 0.015" diameter, since most of the points I'm soldering to are rather small
Yep that's pretty much what I have...well I'll see what happens when I use a GC+ board. If I break this one (I don't even see how it's possible), I'll change my avatar to a thing of bleach.