Question 6layer trimmed Wii power draw?

BLWine

Looking for an at-the-wall power draw estimate (wattage) for a 6-layer micro console playing a game (like mario galaxy).

Already did my trim and am just waiting for my pcbs to get in but realized that most numbers are probably for 4 layer wiis.

I might have to implement USBC PD logic instead of cheating with pullup resistors for 15 watts, which means I'm gonna have to somewhat ironically trim my custom pcbs.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
IIRC the draw for a trimmed 6 layer is around 10w. Taking into account general inefficiencies and spikes from intense activity, you definitely want at least a solid 15w available even for a simple build like a Wii micro

BLWine

IIRC the draw for a trimmed 6 layer is around 10w. Taking into account general inefficiencies and spikes from intense activity, you definitely want at least a solid 15w available even for a simple build like a Wii micro
Thanks for the fast answer, my current design has 15W, I'll probably add some big caps in line for potential transients above that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
One thing I don't know is what the max draw is when all 4 controller ports are engaging full rumble. I haven't seen anyone report brownouts caused by that yet, but it's a possibility nonetheless

BLWine

all 4 controller ports are engaging full rumble
Since gc rumble is 5v, I might use the power lines from the second usbc port I wired in for convenient storage access, if I have enough space to bring along 4 gc controllers I can bring an extra usb cord. Mostly gonna be a travel device for Wii sports and whatever mario party games I can still find the discs of.

Just got tired of bringing a sensor bar, av cables, power brick everywhere, so designed something that can sit on a TV stand and has internal sensor bar, HDMI out (through vga wiring + analog2hdmi) and is powered over the charger I always have in my backpack.

People remember the Wii fondly, and playing Wii bowling or just dance with random people at my uni is fun

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
I like to use a 12V 2A supply for my Micros; even though it's not necessary, I'm comfortable with having more headroom. Here's my Noldendo (powered by an original RVL-PSU) playing Mario Galaxy:

crazysmol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: