5" screen power conversion

I picked up a backup monitor on Amazon to use in a portable project. I have attached a shot of the control board. This thing currently runs on 12v.
I'm guessing that it converts this to 5v and can be wired to run off a 5v supply.
Can someone look at this and suggest where I can apply 5v?

Thanks!
monitor pcb.jpg

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I picked up a backup monitor on Amazon to use in a portable project. I have attached a shot of the control board. This thing currently runs on 12v.
I'm guessing that it converts this to 5v and can be wired to run off a 5v supply.
Can someone look at this and suggest where I can apply 5v?

Thanks!View attachment 5621
CAREFULLY check the output of this pin with a multimeter. Be sure not to accidentally short anything. You should be able to probe the inductor it's connected too alternatively.

CAREFULLY check the output of this pin with a multimeter. Be sure not to accidentally short anything. You should be able to probe the inductor it's connected too alternatively.

I was guessing pin #3 from the chip documentation. There is 5v there. Do I leave it alone and just apply 5v there, or do I need to separate that pin from the board?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I was guessing pin #3 from the chip documentation. There is 5v there. Do I leave it alone and just apply 5v there, or do I need to separate that pin from the board?
You can apply 5v there as long as you are no longer supplying 12V to the input. Better to remove the IC as well if you're forcing an output on there.

You can apply 5v there as long as you are no longer supplying 12V to the input. Better to remove the IC as well if you're forcing an output on there.
Thanks for the help.
5v directly to that pin and it worked perfectly!
I was amazed at how small the board was for this screen. I was expecting a much larger separate pcb to deal with. It only takes up about 15% of the back surface of the screen and lays pretty flat.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I feel like you've already posted it, but do you have a link to that screen? Looks pretty neat

Any updates on the 5v? Did you end up getting it to work off of 5? I got one a little while ago and I’m connecting it through 8.5 for my ps2 portable but if I can run it off of less would be better for the advanced trim

Last edited:
Any updates on the 5v? Did you end up getting it to work off of 5? I got one a little while ago and I’m connecting it through 8.5 for my ps2 portable but if I can run it off of less would be better for the advanced trim
Do you have the exact same driver board as the one in the picture? Or can you upload a picture of what yours looks like?

Do you have the exact same driver board as the one in the picture? Or can you upload a picture of what yours looks like?
On closer inspection it looks like they might be EVER so slightly different but I honestly think they're the same chip and electric circuit, also I noticed the 4 pin slots at the top right of mine a few days ago and I'll be exploring those once I figure out how (first time literally doing anything that has to do with electricity or PCBs and modding)

Edit: Actually when I rotated the image I realised that they're identical, nevermind.

Attachments

On closer inspection it looks like they might be EVER so slightly different but I honestly think they're the same chip and electric circuit, also I noticed the 4 pin slots at the top right of mine a few days ago and I'll be exploring those once I figure out how (first time literally doing anything that has to do with electricity or PCBs and modding)

Edit: Actually when I rotated the image I realised that they're identical, nevermind.
What are the names on each of the chips? If you unplug the ribbon cable and remove the driver board under it it may say what the pads are for.

What are the names on each of the chips? If you unplug the ribbon cable and remove the driver board under it it may say what the pads are for.
The pads I want to take a look at are actually the ones that are on the top right of my photo or bottom left of your photo.

As for the chip numbers the larger one is AMT630A

250208 is the smaller one but in all honestly I could be wrong about these numbers because I can barely see them in the magnifying glass