5 inch Component Screen Possibility

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5-0-inch...010078?hash=item236823771e:g:zvUAAOSw~oFXIfCh

I was looking at this 5 inch screen. According to the datasheet of the main chip (RTD2660) the chip has component input. Is there any way we could take advantage of this? It would be a cheaper alternative to the screen @pineapples mentioned.
Didn't you already ask about this? I'm like 90% sure I remember Aurelio telling you that that particular chip doesn't output component. That's what my memory tells me anyways, I could be totally off target.

That was a completely different screen. That chip outputed component but didnt have component input. This chip actually has a component input

Shank

Staff member
Portables
This topic has been brought up a few times, but the short answer is no. This drive board (nor many of the others that say Y/Pb/Pr on the main IC's datasheet) does not have component capability. It is a fair question, but the answer is no.

The long answer is that the chip on this board (along with almost all VGA and most analog video driver board chips) is CAPABLE of being programed for component video. VGA and Component are extremely similar, but mainly differ in 2 ways, being the colorspace they operate in (RGB vs YPbPr), and wether the sync is on its own line (VGA) or integrated into one of the video lines (Component). In order for that drive chip to accept component video, it would be programmed to have component video built in. Could we add to this chip ourselves? No, because it requires the software used for for compiling the drive board firmware, which is locked down under extremely tight NDAs, so we will likely never see it. The problem is that nobody other than us cares about component video, so it isn't programed into the chips. They could easily program it into their drive board, but there isn't enough demand, so its not worth it to them.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
There are more component screens, but they are all bigger than 5". 7" is the smallest widely available screen that accepts component.

JacksonS

Portables
it requires the software used for for compiling the drive board firmware, which is locked down under extremely tight NDAs, so we will likely never see it
That stuff is definitely out there if you search enough, though not legally. Actually modifying the firmware requires a pretty thorough understanding on how it's built.

There also exists custom firmware for the RTD2660H written by someone in Russia, but he's told me his firmware doesn't include component at all and he doesn't plan to add it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
There also exists custom firmware for the RTD2660H written by someone in Russia, but he's told me his firmware doesn't include component at all and he doesn't plan to add it.
Oughta ask him if he's got the documentation/toolchain (and if he'd be willing to share to another dev), we could always just add it ourselves. Then we could also remove the "AV1" or whatever when the screen switches inputs :P

We could also look into using the driver for a larger screen with a converter board, but IDK about how big the component boards are...

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It's so infiruating because the manufacturers could add it so easily and make our lives so much better but they don't have a reason to

JacksonS

Portables
Oughta ask him if he's got the documentation/toolchain (and if he'd be willing to share to another dev), we could always just add it ourselves. Then we could also remove the "AV1" or whatever when the screen switches inputs :P
I'm pretty sure he states somewhere on his website that he won't share anything more than compiled firmware images. He took forever to respond to my email. Changing the commercial firmware might be a more realistic option.

I do know that the commercial firmware, if you can find it, can be compiled with the Keil uVision 5 IDE.