Worklog 3dfx - Classic PC Console

This is the worklog for the 3dfx, a home console themed around the venerable graphics accelerator manufacturer of the same name. I have two main goals with the project:
  1. The console should feel modern as if 3dfx were around today
  2. The hardware and software should be representative of the 3dfx/Glide era
I want the system to be as small and quiet as possible. 3dfx was known for keeping things simple and efficient, so I would like the entire experience to reflect that. As such I've settled on the following system configuration:
  • VIA EPIA-800AG motherboard (800mhz VIA CPU)
  • 256MB SDRAM
  • 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
  • Audio provided via onboard AC'97 controller
  • SD to IDE adapter for hard drive space
  • (Potential) slot loading IDE CD drive
As of now I have the base system built and will slowly be moving on to case design. Unfortunately I keep getting distracted by the likes of Carmageddon 2 and RECOIL. I've started a video build log over on YouTube to keep track of my work and will be posting updates here as well.

Along with the base configuration, there will be some extra hardware I'll be adding to the system to bring it into 2020. Since this is going to be a console that's meant to be plugged into the TV, I will be embedding a VGA to HDMI conversion board as well as an Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter. For the controller adapter, I'm hoping to dig a bit into the PCB design of the slim 360's RF module as it seems to be a pretty interesting 1-chip design. The idea would be to design a custom PCB that handles the controller wireless adapter functionality and incorporates an Arduino to trigger things like sync. I found this really interesting article on the subject that should prove to be useful.

Finally, to capture what it felt like to be a PC game in the late 90's, I felt that a case badge was equally as important as the case itself. However, this is 2020. We can have a bit more flair with our badges. We have access to things like 128x128 1.5" OLED displays:

20200703_144521.jpg

Stay tuned :)