3D Printing Service

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
After a successful test run, I'm pleased to announce that I am starting a service for 3D printing. One of the problems for beginners is while they want a quality portable, they lack skills to frakencase, 3D design or access to a 3d printer. After talking with some other staff members, I've decided to try and address this problem.

Goal
My goal is to make a service where those who wish to design their own cases can get them printed off for a decent price. While my intent is to not make profit off of this, I do need to make it worth the time and material that will go into it. My goal is to make the printing service cheap enough so as to keep the entire portable (including screens, batteries, etc) no more than $300 (which is on the high side). The printed case would calculated into that amount. While I understand that number seems high, I am trying to account for beginners who will spend money on a soldering iron, flux and other things which make first portables more expensive than the ones that follow.
Price
There is no set price on what it will cost, instead I will take it on a case by case [No pun intended :awesome:] basis and look to the amount of printing, the material that is to be printed, and the total time it will take to print.

Design
At the moment, you will need to provide your own design to be printed. That being said, I am in the middle of (and almost finished) with some basic cases for the N64 and Wii. (I may do a GC one in the future if there is enough interest) This is to help those that don't want to learn 3d design or don't want to spend the time to. They are based on parts from the BOM and should fit with general components.

While this service is meant for 3D printed cases for portables, I am also willing to print off other things depending on size and quantity.

Printer
I have the Prusa i3 MK2 Original. It has been precisely calibrated and the tolerances are really good. I've never had problem fitting parts together.

I usually print everything in PLA and from my test runs this should be sufficient for most cases but I can also print in ABS or other materials upon request. I have a variety of colors on hand which we can discuss in more detail if required.

If you want to use my service and are in the middle of your design, PM and I can give you tips and advice that will help you in designing for a 3d printer. This will save both you and I, time and money.

If there are any questions, comments, concerns, or clean jokes, let me know!

If you need something 3d printed, PM me. :)

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
LMAO

My teacher just emailed me to tell me that she doesn't want to open a new roll of filament, so my case wouldn't be printed until October.

My first thought: "Well maybe one of those BitBuilt dudes would help me out".

If I can't convince her to open up a new roll then I'll probably contact you.

Edit: Is that $300 a typo or do you mean for an entire portable? Because as much as I love you, $300 is probably a bit much for a case...

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
LMAO

My teacher just emailed me to tell me that she doesn't want to open a new roll of filament, so my case wouldn't be printed until October.

My first thought: "Well maybe one of those BitBuilt dudes would help me out".

If I can't convince her to open up a new roll then I'll probably contact you.
Depending on the filament, it may be cheaper to purchase the filament yourself and have her use that? :)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Depending on the filament, it may be cheaper to purchase the filament yourself and have her use that? :)
The issue is that I'm not trained on how to use that printer. It tends to break if you don't set it up perfectly.

I also don't have time to wait for a roll. School gets out next Wednesday. Plus I looked it up, and a roll was like $70.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Well PM me and we can talk about it. Though if the roll you want is $70 then I'm imagining that it's the acidicly-solveable kind. My printer doesn't have two print heads or multi material upgrade to print that off. I have no problem helping you out but you'll only have standard supports.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
While I did edit the original post, I am posting it again here for visibility because I think it's an important point:

My goal is to make the printing service cheap enough so as to keep the entire portable (including screens, batteries, etc) no more than $300 (which is on the high side). The printed case would calculated into that amount. While I understand that number seems high, I am trying to account for beginners who will spend money on a soldering iron, flux and other things which make first portables more expensive than the ones that follow.

If you want i can try to create you a website for this.cost is somewhere arround 1USD on hostinger and when you keep the subdomain you have it free or.xyz domain for once a year 4USD something like that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you want i can try to create you a website for this.cost is somewhere arround 1USD on hostinger and when you keep the subdomain you have it free or.xyz domain for once a year 4USD something like that.
>offering to build a website for Chaos

You went full MR there man, never go full MR.

Alvaro

Portables
So I heard that you have a printing service and I'm here to tackle my first portable, a Wii. I have a lot do the electronic supplies like soldering, flux, etc and have some experience in micro soldering. I took a class for 3D printing in my school but it was vague and I'm planning everything out. Not sure if I should make a case or design it. If I design it I'll hit you up for printing, how much is the average price for a case that you print for people? -Thanks, Alvaro

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
So I heard that you have a printing service and I'm here to tackle my first portable, a Wii. I have a lot do the electronic supplies like soldering, flux, etc and have some experience in micro soldering. I took a class for 3D printing in my school but it was vague and I'm planning everything out. Not sure if I should make a case or design it. If I design it I'll hit you up for printing, how much is the average price for a case that you print for people? -Thanks, Alvaro
PM me and we can talk in more detail :)