3D Printing Cases

I recently just bought a wahao duplicator i3, and I'm loving it so far. I'm wondering what program would be good to design a game case though. The only 3D modeling software I really have experience in is Anim8or, and I know cura can load 3D objects, but I don't know how it would handle wall thickness. Basically I tried to make a case in MS paint that would fit my phone, and have holes for buttons (basically the layout of a DS lite bottom half). I imported this in cura, and all was fine, except that the white color (I had the darker colors more raised) still had a layer, where as I was hoping to have the white part not print (for the screen and button holes). I tried using some software to modify the gcode, and manually remove the bottom layer, but I deleted one layer on the raft, which caused it to stick. Other than that, the scale was pretty spot on minus the ABXY button holes. Has anyone had an experience like this? or a recommendation for software? I'd rather not have to do the design from scratch, but It could also use some smoothing out

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
MS paint won't really cut it here lol. I always recommend TinkerCAD to beginners. It's free and there is tons of picture and video tutorials. I haven't used anim8or before but that should be good enough for a case, provided a convertor tool if one is not built into the software. No need to edit gcode manually either, Cura has a lot of options to tweak rafts and all that.

Post your case design of what you have in mind also.

MS paint won't really cut it here lol. I always recommend TinkerCAD to beginners. It's free and there is tons of picture and video tutorials. I haven't used anim8or before but that should be good enough for a case, provided a convertor tool if one is not built into the software. No need to edit gcode manually either, Cura has a lot of options to tweak rafts and all that.

Post your case design of what you have in mind also.

This is the inside and front. I had it scaled to 8 pixels=1mm, and the darkest part being 1cm tall.
The white part was not supposed to be printed at all, but cura used it as the lowest layers (after the raft).
This did print well in terms of size and strength, the buttons fit, but were a tad bit tight (I was using a Dpad and ABXY from an old dingoo, and found out the ABXY didn't fit because my measurements were off).
Basically, the phone sits in here, the window only shows the screen, but it is sunken in so the buttons can fit in between the case and the front of the phone. The L and R are short, but are just short enough to where they miss the phone if they are pressed down

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
That's a pretty simple model so should be ok to make completely in anim8or or tinkerCAD. Try exporting a simple file like a box to an *.obj file first though to see how that works with Cura.