Worklog 2nd portable

After completing my Wii Micro successfully, I thought I'd press my luck and hack up another 4 layer board.
I wanted to do something that involved an integrated screen this time and take a shot at the full OMGWTF trim. (The Micro left the video and USB ports on the trimmed board. What could possibly go wrong? ;-)
This is what I'm shooting for:
- OMGWTF 4 layer board
- PM
- Wii and Gamecube functionality
- 5" TFT 16:9 screen
- Original Gamecube controls
- Integrated IR LEDS for the Wii.
- 5v powered by standard phone charger (I think when I'm not near an outlet I could power it with a phone recharging battery pack)

What I've done so far:
- Installed PortablizeMii
- Relocated U10 (tested OK)
- Relocated Bluetooth (I still hate that one!) (tested OK)
- Assembled my regulators. (tested OK)
- Trimmed the board
- Relocated USB (had a heck of a time getting reliable connections for this!!) (tested OK)
- Got my 5" backup monitor from ebay and converted it to 5v. (THANKS Jefflongo!!)
- Ordered a GC+ from Noah 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for it. (does it usually take a long time?)
- Ordered an audio amp (not here yet)
- Ordered a laptop fan/heatsink. (not here yet)
- Picked up a Wavebird controller.

I want to either attach the screen to the Wavebird body with a hinged support, or separate the controller into 2 halves and print a body to put between them that would contain the screen and all the other wiring.
I'm not really sure which way to go.

EDIT: I tested it with a portable phone charger battery pack that I use for my tablet when I'm flying. It worked like a charm! Once it's complete I'm curious how long it will function on that power source.

EDIT:
After seeing ShockSlayers awesome Wavebird portable, I decided to try something similar using a standard controller. I'm designing a 3d printed add-on that will hold a 5" screen and a OMGWTF board.

Attachments

Last edited:
20180417_164345.jpg

EDIT:
I've been really limping along on this thing in my spare time.
I finally got around to printing out some case parts, and epoxied the front of the case to a Gamecube controller.
I printed out a housing for the speakers, volume buttons and powerswitch.
Next comes a little filler to smooth the transitions between the printed parts and the controller.
I managed to fit the trimmed board, cooling, sound amp and regulators into a 15mm thick housing that will be the back cover. (pictures of that when I get it all painted)

EDIT: (FINISHED!)

I accomplished SOME of what I started out to do. It was quite a learning experience!
I ended up with a handheld Wii/GC. NOT PORTABLE!!! It needs a beefier power supply than a normal 5v phone charger. Typical phone chargers top out at around 2.4 amps. This thing will boot with a 2.4 amp supply, but it will not run games. I ended up getting a 4 amp 5v supply. It works perfectly with that supply!
Along the way I had a bad fan. I replaced it with one from Amazon.
The IR leds work fine with a WiiMote. It sounds crappy with the built-in speakers, but it's amazing with headphones.

Anyway, here are the final pictures.

Attachments

Last edited: