Question 2DS circlepad to joystick

Hello, long time lurker here! I thought it would be neat to change the circle pad on my 2DS for a joycon joystick.
I have the old 2DS, the slab design, so no need for folding it closed.

I've seen others swap the joystick into Vitas and PSPs.
My question is it as easy as getting a breakout board and soldering X, Y, VCC, GND to the matching test points on the 2DS?

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

890s

Those other mods don't actually swap out the sticks, they just replace the circle pad caps with vita sick caps.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello, long time lurker here! I thought it would be neat to change the circle pad on my 2DS for a joycon joystick.
I have the old 2DS, the slab design, so no need for folding it closed.

I've seen others swap the joystick into Vitas and PSPs.
My question is it as easy as getting a breakout board and soldering X, Y, VCC, GND to the matching test points on the 2DS?

I appreciate the help!
This would work, but you'd have to first check if the joycon stick box fits in the space for the slider.

One potential issue you may run into tho is deadzones and stick range. When we use 3DS sliders in Wii portables, we have to use Aurelio's GC+ configurator software to scale up the analog range of the sliders. They have less range than normal analog joysticks, so by swapping the slider for a joycon stick you may run into the inverse problem. Being that the difference between neutral and what the system thinks is "full tilt" might only be around half the physical movement range of the stick, which would make it highly sensitive and tricky to use.

I'm not sure if this will in fact be the case, but it's a possibility. Only way to know for sure is to do it and see what happens.

This would work, but you'd have to first check if the joycon stick box fits in the space for the slider.

One potential issue you may run into tho is deadzones and stick range. When we use 3DS sliders in Wii portables, we have to use Aurelio's GC+ configurator software to scale up the analog range of the sliders. They have less range than normal analog joysticks, so by swapping the slider for a joycon stick you may run into the inverse problem. Being that the difference between neutral and what the system thinks is "full tilt" might only be around half the physical movement range of the stick, which would make it highly sensitive and tricky to use.

I'm not sure if this will in fact be the case, but it's a possibility. Only way to know for sure is to do it and see what happens.
I see, I definitely did not know any of that!
I'll have to research more into that.
I really appreciate the response!