Worklog [2022 Contest Entry] 3-Wii

MP3

Portables
I’ve built 2 Wii portables so far, however neither of them were of my own design. I hope to change that with this project. My overall goal for the 3-Wii is to build a highly compact, fully featured, and practical Wii portable. I have some more specific objectives that that, so here they are.

Design goals:
  • Small form factor
    • Currently looking at 140x78x30mm.
  • Laminated 4:3 480p 3.5" panel driven by an RVL-DD (hopefully).
    • This should both look very good and provide some durability that portables with a bare LCD are lacking.
  • 2 18650 battery cells.
  • LMAO trimmed Wii with NAND flex and removed AVE.
    • I will be relocating the LDO due to using a PMS-Lite and plan to retain all 4 screw holes.
  • Custom controller PCB
    • Likely going to use JoyCon sticks and DS Lite buttons.

I've sourced most of the parts I’m going to be using and have done some preliminary CAD work. Additionally, I relocated the NAND on the Wii and verified that my plan for the LDO relocation works.
NAND.png

I also gave the panel I’m planning on using a test run over HDMI, and it looks great. I’ll make another post once I have some more things finalized.
display.jpg

Portables
That screen looks amazing in that shot, I've got my hands on the other usually recommend 3.5" where abouts did you manage to find a laminated one?

I second that, I think laminated screens is definitely the way to go for a professional finish! Looking forward to seeing your progress! Do you have an RVL_DD from the original run? Also originally it only worked with bigger panels than the 3.5 inches.

Portables
Yeah there was a 52pin to 40pin adapter flex necessary to use the 3.5"