2021 Contest Entry: TiGER (SNES) Handheld (Portable)

INTRODUCTION
=========================
I recently was given a SNES console from a coworker because their child didn't want it anymore (no class, no taste) and I knew it was destined for one of my fever dream semi-well executed ideas. Why not make a SNES portable using a FULL SNES board so it's not a Retron (emulation sucks) and I haven't seen an FPGA portable for SNES just yet (No one's done a DE10 Nano so far and the Analogue Pocket isn't real, PROVE ME WRONG).

INTENTION
Inspired by the aesthetic of the god-awful somewhat collectible TiGER handhelds of the 90's and 2000's, I set off with Inventor and my Ender 3 to smash together my first entry into a BB Build Contest. I wanted to build a fully 3D printed portable that ran the SNES on 5V (bypassing the regulator) and took real full cartridges (SNES and SFC) in the rear much like a Game Boy. I want to power it all on either 18650 cells or flat LIPO 1S cells and have the ability to charge it via USB-C.

Some Key Features:
-Full SNES Main Board (not a 1-chip either)
-Full 3D Printed Case (PLA for Prototyping, PETG for final)
-Use SFC Buttons and DPAD and tapping original controller board
-Use Helder's RetroPSU to charge and boost 1S cells / Use 18650 Red Board for same
-Use 28mm Game Boy speakers and a PAM amp for stereo sound
-Use 7" 4:3 / 16:9 Switchable LCD Screen - Composite for now, RGB in the future very possible
-Keep and use AV Port for TV out
-Integrate a headphone jack that disconnects speakers when plugged in
-Integrate a RESET button using SFC / SNES button
-Every part of the system overall must be modular and serviceable--NO HOT GLUE!!!
-I've forgotten something, I know I have, I'll update when I remember.

RENDER

Render PS.jpg

INITIAL PHOTOS

5V TEST.jpg
TV TEST WORKING.jpg
REAR SHELL PRINT.jpg
REAR SHELL FILLET.jpg
REAR CART IDEA.jpg
SNES BOARD IN REAR SHELL.jpg

CAD RENDERS
========================

Front - Subject to change (guaranteed to change)

front render.JPG

Rear - Absolutely going to change
rear render.JPG

This wraps up my intro post for the 2021 Summer Building Contest.
It's THICC. It'll probably slim a bit, as the TiGER handhelds were also very thin and the SNES board has very few-if any-tall components.
The case is going to go through multiple iterations, both because I'll hate something and completely redo it and I hope that some of you will have ideas and tips to throw at me and I'll change it so it looks even more appealing.
I want to do controller outs as well and I'll probably need to make a breakout box via some kind of plug because the SNES controller ports are a solid piece of plastic with a backer PCB and they're going to be hard to shoehorn into the case design without crowding things.
The L and R buttons need to go on the back and I want to keep trigger style big boys, not the 11mm SFC/SNES/DMG buttons I'll be using everywhere else. That design will come.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Getting some laser doodle vibes, I like it. Let the jank flow through!

Top and bottom shells printed for initial fitment.

Need to redo dpad now that I got a SFC controller in the mail to harvest parts.
Need to add standoffs for the SNES board to attach to the rear shell.
Need to add standoffs for the front to attach to the rear.
Thinking of making outer holes where controls are and having another part slot in with buttons and soft tacs attached.
Need to measure and make access for AV out.

Attachments

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Oh man, I hated those Tiger games so much. They were such a letdown when all a kid wanted was a Gameboy.

Case design is spot on for the 90's aesthetics. Any plans to 2D print a cartoonish label to go around the screen?

Oh man, I hated those Tiger games so much. They were such a letdown when all a kid wanted was a Gameboy.

Case design is spot on for the 90's aesthetics. Any plans to 2D print a cartoonish label to go around the screen?
I'm going to inlay it ~ 1mm around the screen and see what I can come up with for that aesthetic. I'm also debating shrinking the visible area to a 4:3 ratio (if the screen saves aspect ratio) and getting a wild surround going.

Got the 7" LCD in from Amazon ($35 special). It can do 4:3 or 16:9 which was a deciding factor as I couldn't find a larger 4:3 specific LCD for a good price.

0620212121.jpg0620212122.jpg

Ran it on 12V, found the 5V point and now it works on 5V.

Need to tweak the viewable area just a tiny bit, measure and model the area for the screen surround and make a bracket to hold the screen in place.

For the bottom shell I've decided to make it like the top, just a face plate. I'll print a middle spacer separately and I'll be able to save time and material when printing multiple iterations.

SFC controller arrived so I'll be able to measure the buttons and DPAD placement better and chop it up to use.

The real question is, will it take a 240p signal?
Absolutely (not).

RGBDRV might be compatible though, so yes, maybe.

I'm fine with composite for SNES SFC, but RGB would have been really cool. Maybe down the line?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Absolutely (not).

RGBDRV might be compatible though, so yes, maybe.

I'm fine with composite for SNES SFC, but RGB would have been really cool. Maybe down the line?
It doesn't matter if it's composite or RGB, the Snes only outputs a 15khz signal and if that LCD doesn't support 15khz how are you planning to get image?, a line doubler?

[EDIT]

Further looking at the pictures it does support 15khz over composite.

SNES Portable Update:

-Improved front panel, inspiration for drop in button sections from @xipher_design
-LCD screen surround added, screw holes for a screen holder bracket
-Speaker holes enlarged to 29mm
-SNES motherboard fits in rear shell, AV out should have been 12mm the OTHER way, oooooops.
-Cart cutout placed, screw holes added
-Cart holder needs to be printed and tested, cart slot needs attachment points, controller needs to be hacked apart, controller sections need to be created and added for install into front.

PXL_20210728_003417412.jpgPXL_20210728_003436037.jpgPXL_20210728_003423600.jpgPXL_20210728_003236770.jpgPXL_20210728_003158498.jpg