5 + 1*π
Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Board is trimmed & booting. Also already did some CAD stuff.. nothing fancy yet.

DSCF0672.JPG

To do something aside from CAD i soldered the USB wires, so i can verify it's working, too. I really enjoy working under the microscope ^^

1622314450790.png

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Make custom PCBs they said.. it will be FUN they said...
1622398003084.png

i placed the components on the wrong side first.. but at least it fits now.. Still a far way to go.. but if everything works out, this will be my first portable using custom PCBs - so fingers crossed!

earlybuttons.JPG

also need to swap out the buttons for a lower profile one, since the QFN on the other side is already crashing into the battery... xD

But tbh. custom PCBs are a lot of work, but it's really cool to see them fit [and hopefully work in the end - lol]

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Make custom PCBs they said.. it will be FUN they said...
View attachment 17401

i placed the components on the wrong side first.. but at least it fits now.. Still a far way to go.. but if everything works out, this will be my first portable using custom PCBs - so fingers crossed!

View attachment 17402

also need to swap out the buttons for a lower profile one, since the QFN on the other side is already crashing into the battery... xD

But tbh. custom PCBs are a lot of work, but it's really cool to see them fit [and hopefully work in the end - lol]
After you get used to the process you can crank them out pretty quickly. Especially once you start building up your parts library.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
alright folks, so quite a few things happened the last couple of days.. On the weekend i did some work on Aurelios greatest nightmare.. A little microcontroller project called "NPC" [Nold's Portable Coprocessor xD] which i hopefully get figured out.. at least i2c communication works.. kind of.. hopefully RVLoader integration will, too someday...

DSCF0690.JPG

The case is making slow progress, too. Due to shanks last video i got inspired to try some snap-fits again and they are working surprisingly well for the sliders so far! Also the "new 3ds" sliders are much easier to model & slightly slimmer, which is really nice for this project...

DSCF0700.JPG

The PCBs are a long way from being finished, too. But I'm at least happy with the results I got so far :)
Sadly I had to give up the integration of the uamp & GC+ into the button PCBs, since they simply would become too thicc.. but i guess i'm going to make a custom GC+/Uamp/NPC-PCB

Screenshot from 2021-06-13 20-26-48.png

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
What an exiting day! Totally unexpected my JLCPCB order arrived & i couldn't wait to put everything together.. but see yourself:
DSCF0708.JPG

Needless to say, it's looking very promising so far <3 except for the long cable being a little bit too long xD...

The NPC is working and doing it's thing incl. I2C communication. I only had to rewire the usb connector, cause somehow my kicad pinout seems to be wrong >.< ... I2C on the WiiHUD Amp is also working fine.
The connection to the bottom PCB [not in picture] is also working... only had to turn around the FPC connector.. haha.. guess i swapped the pins while turning the connector on the main pcb, even tho i should have kept them as they where.. or something like that..

besides these little issues, I'm so happy how good the pcbs fit & work. it's really amazing seeing your own designs come to life... sadly my buttons are still out of stock :/

Last but not least, a moment of silence for our fallen warriors...
DSCF0711.JPG

[The SAMD chip is currently out of stock & I ordered the wrong version of the GC+ chip xD]

Looks great Nold! What is the NPC for? Internal file transfer for USB?

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Some of my PCBs arrived in Rev. 2 and everything is going along nicely. Even tho i managed to mess up the DPad-PCB in Rev. 2.. so i'll just fix it by hand.

DSCF0723.JPG

Having a "bottom connection" PCB is also really handy. Makes it simple to solder & separate the mainboard from everything else.
DSCF0729.JPG

Yesterday i built the heatsink & today i glued in the thermistor using thermal epoxy.
DSCF0724.JPG

Besides that i played around with my "legacy" PMS2. I replaced the microcontroller with a PIC18f18426 because i wanted to implement the I2C-Slave API for RVLoader, but dropped that, because i couldn't make it work... anyways, since the 18426 has a DAC, I managed to build a simple temperature dependent fan control, which is pretty cool, too!

You can find my fork here: https://github.com/Nold360/RVL-Power-Management-System

Well.. time for a nap..
DSCF0720.JPG

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I'm on vacation, so it's time to finish this up i guess.. :D

DSCF0750.JPG

Printed the current case since idk what still was wrong with it, just some minor adjustments as it seems. (You know it's a close fit, when removing the paper isolation from your batteries is a working fix).

DSCF0753.JPG

Overall it's the same size as the v1, but it's a little bit slimmer!
DSCF0749.JPG

can't wait for the sanding.. still don't know which color i'm going to use for the case...

DSCF0755.JPG

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Lot's of sanding today.. i decided to print the case with some good old "summer contest carbonfil". Which makes it look pretty .. generic?! but it will make it's memes shine i think. but judge yourself:

DSCF0761.JPG

Internalwise i wired up some stuff. some things still need testing/fixing but it's going along fine.

DSCF0772.JPG

next up i'll need to do some more button casting, still need a few molds.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Alright.. after i found out i can't turn around the screen in software..... I had to redesign & reprint the top case.. well not too hard even tho my whole f360 project is messed up at this point >.< ... anyway, printing, sanding & postworking & also remapping the custom PCBs... it's nearly finished. basically all that's missing are the shoulder buttons, where i couldn't decide which color to use, yet.

DSCF0793.JPG

The dock also works. even tho i wanted it printed in copperfil, but the print failed like 4 times & i messed up a lot of good filament... so i printed it in a random color.. you never can go wrong with green, right ;-)

DSCF0797.JPG

these quick casts aren't perfect but they feel pretty good tho. guess i need something brighter...

but i'm glad everything but the NPC is working.. xD