2021 Contest Entry: Crazii

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Attention all BitBuilt Gamers!

My name is CrazyGadget, and this will be my second Wii portable, though it will be my first design from scratch! I have slowly been amassing parts over time, and have been putting a good deal of thought as to what exactly I want in my portable. Here is what I have right now:

20210714_205929.jpg

Features of this portable will include (but might not be limited to):
  • OMGWTF Trim
  • Bluetooth & MX relocations
  • RVL-PMS(v1)
  • 4x 18650 cells
  • USB-C PD Spoof Board
  • UAmp(v1)
  • GC+2.0(v1)
  • 5" 640x480 screen
  • RVL Cooling Kit
  • Landscape-style controls
  • 3DS Analog Sliders and Buttons, along with Breakout PCBs I made for that sweet OEM feel
  • Dual-Press Tacts for L & R buttons
I just trimmed the Wii mobo last week, and have yet to fully test it, as I still need to program the PMS, along with the UAmp and GC+ (I have the PICkit, but just haven't gotten around to it yet). Ignore the NAND flex in the top right; that's for another project... The vast majority of this project for me is going to be case design, as I haven't done much CAD within the past few years, and am just learning Fusion now. As I recently purchased a Prusa i3 MK3s+, I am hoping that I will be able to prototype each little sub-module of the design (button wells, post placements, tolerances, etc.) before printing full case prototypes. Ideally, I would love to get the case resin printed from PCBway once the final design is done, but we'll see how that goes.

As it stands, I am currently in the middle of building a Noldendo Miicro. That, along with working 11 hours a day and side-hustling and decompressing on the weekends, is going to mean the amount of time I get to spend on this project is pretty slim. That being said, I'm going to make sure that this thread doesn't go too long without any updates, and that I am done by the deadline.

That's all I've got for now! I may come up with a better name for it in the future, as I feel a bit lazy with the current one. We'll see... Cheers!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Alright, it's been a little bit, but I have made some progress. I was able to flash the PMS, UAmp and GC+, and I can confirm that the PMS works as it should. Being that this is my first attempt at PCB assembly with paste and hot air and stencils and all that fun stuff, I see this as a great success. I hooked the PMS up to the Wii trim, and it all looks good! Btw, this is some crappy car backup cam screen that I'm just using, and it will not be in the final product.

20210721_201531.jpg

When taking a closer look at the PD Decoy board that I have, I realized that my Anker PowerPort Atom PD 1 does not have a 12v charge profile, so I'm probably going to replace it with this (which was recommended to me by Pickles): https://www.tindie.com/products/oxplot/fpx-easy-usbc-power-for-all-your-devices/
It looks like a relatively easy to use, versatile and compact solution, dare I say perfect for what I need. I'll order it soon. In the meantime, I need to start dreaming up some potential CAD work!