Worklog 1st Portable Worklog!

Memed

Hello! I am new to the portablizing community, so any pointers before I begin the bulk of my project would be greatly appreciated!
That aside, I am planning to make a Wii portable using the OMGWTF trim and PortablizeMii. I am going to try and make a 7.4v battery pack out of a few Panasonic batteries and a protection circuit. For audio, I've decided on 3ds speakers and a audio amp that can support 15w and 8ohms to each speaker. I think this is enough, correct me if I'm wrong. For a controller, I'll probably just hack up a 3rd party gamecube controller and connect some 3ds sliders and DS Lite buttons, but I am still unsure of what case to use. I will probably go with a ZN-40/45 from Polycase, or TRY to use an SL-68P if I am feeling ambitious. As for screens, I'm probably going to sort through the BOM and Ebay listings until I find something that works with the case I choose. I don't think I will be including a headphone jack, as I don't think I would find much use for it. For wiring, I think I'll use shielded wire (Don't know what gauge, suggestions would be appreciated) for A/V, and 32 gauge or IDE for everything else.

So far I've:
Bought a Wii (4 Layer)
Bought capacitors, resistors, batteries, etc...
Watched PLENTY of videos on basic electronics; soldering, voltages, amps, other stuff
Went through numerous guides and worklogs
Worked on Dremeling skills

If I forgot anything, don't hesitate to let me know.
Wiish me luck!

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
've decided on 3ds speakers and a audio amp that can support 15w and 8ohms to each speaker
3DS speakers should probably have under 1W delivered to them, so 15W is way too much. You may be better off with some generic 1W speakers that can take a little more power than 3DS speakers.

I'll probably just hack up a 3rd party gamecube controller and connect some 3ds sliders
It would be a lot easier to buy a GC+ and not bother with 3rd party controllers. You can use 3DS sliders with the GC+ without issue, but they wouldn't work directly on a 3rd part controller.

Memed

3DS speakers should probably have under 1W delivered to them, so 15W is way too much. You may be better off with some generic 1W speakers that can take a little more power than 3DS speakers.
I'll do a check on the power draw and resistance of the speakers before I pick them up, thanks for that bit of insight. I do like the quality of the 3ds speakers...

It would be a lot easier to buy a GC+ and not bother with 3rd party controllers. You can use 3DS sliders with the GC+ without issue, but they wouldn't work directly on a 3rd part controller.
I definitely would just get a GC+, but they are out of stock on the BitBuilt store and I'm not sure when they will get back in stock. I think I have a random Nintendo GC controller in my room somewhere, and I remember seeing a guide about wiring up 3ds sliders to a 1st party controller. If I can find it i'll just go that route.

Memed

That one has no volume control
Time to keep searching...

EDIT: Found the right amp, what I thought I had in the beginning was not actually what was listed on the BOM :|
3w 4ohm amp, with volume control. Sounds good!

Last edited:

Memed

Wii came in, the triwing screwdriver should be coming in soon aswell so I can get started.

Shank

Staff member
Portables

Memed

Successfully installed PortablizeMii with nowifi!
image1.JPGimage2.JPG
When that triwing screwdriver comes in im either going to start trimming right away or wait until all my parts come in.

Memed

Ordered everything else, should be able to assemble in a week or two. Will post updates when parts come in.

Memed

Regulators came in, along with the 1.8k resistors, 33k resistors, and the Panasonic batteries. Still no screwdriver :/
IMG_0567.JPG

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Unless you're planning on using it, just hack up the case to get it apart
Actually don't though, it takes forever and you break things. My mother board is missing a power button and a reset button because of the brute force I had to use to judt get a couple of stripped screws out.

Memed

Actually don't though, it takes forever and you break things. My mother board is missing a power button and a reset button because of the brute force I had to use to judt get a couple of stripped screws out.
I anticipated that something like this would happen, and besides, I might be able to re purpose the case. At the very least the fan grill can be used as a template for fan holes

I would have suggested a dremel. A lot of the screws have a really long screw post on them, which you can cut around. There are a few screws that won't work for, of course, but those screws are pretty accessible and not hard to get out by just drilling the heads off (which I suppose you could just do to all of them) just be careful.

I anticipated that something like this would happen, and besides, I might be able to re purpose the case. At the very least the fan grill can be used as a template for fan holes
Fair enough. If you can use the case for something, more power too you :)

Portables
Lol!
It looks like it's coming together nicely! Love the rapid progress your making!