Search results

1. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

So, I took a small hiatus. Anyways I am back with this project and honestly don't think it will take too long now (I said this was gonna be a quick project too!) So after many test prints I think i've come to a semi-final revision of the portable now. I decided to make an unorthodox approach...
  2. Bigbutcher

Worklog My first portable (PS2)

I had problems trying to get composite video and 5v out from the pins were the AV used to be. I ended up wiring after the capacitor and ended up temporarily powering the screen off a higher voltage as mine was not native 5v, this eventually worked for me
  3. Bigbutcher

Discussion Share your tattoo/s

Had this done in japan a couple years back. Kudos to who knows the game it's based on.
  4. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

Things are starting to take shape! The rev 2 isn't much thinner than it's original design but it lightyears more comfortable despite it being a portrait system. I have added a raised section for the triggers and bumps and feels nicer at the expense of more bulk, needs some tweaking but going...
  5. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

I realised that simply sandwiching layers was not enough! I had to resort to making some simple clips to keep the shape consistent along the edge. I was running into issues with gaps and seams between the brackets and these little brackets will help keep things tighter. I did two test prints...
  6. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

I thought I would give a quick summary of how the design is layered as I think it is pretty neat. I will do a much more indepth version when I post the final build in The Cutting Edge. The design is back loading so to get inside and repair anything all you need to do is unscrew the 4 screws on...
  7. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

I haven't been doing much since life got kinda busy, but I have at least tested the screen and all works okay. Doesn't look bad for a cheap £14 screen! It's still hooked up to the old revision but that gives a good idea of the front at least. Only thing I've done with the CAD design is put...
  8. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

Thank you! I like the shape a lot. If you have any photos of your build proccess you should post a worklog like this too!
  9. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

Thank you! The connector is a 5pin FFC connector with 0.5mm pitch. If you put that into ebay you may find them or you can search them up on digikey. There is a good guide on how to convert nintendo switch joysticks to be used on the forums too...
  10. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

Small update, printed the front 2mm extrusion to test fit and seems to be fine. There will be a 3mm bracket that glues to the back of it with screw posts for pcbs and the joysticks as well.
  11. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

My first attempt at PCBs came in! Nothing crazy, just breakout boards for switch joysticks. This was also my first attempt at smd soldering and after some flux and a wick i got the pins cleanly soldered with no bridging. I will go ahead and make some for the main controls too at some point. I...
  12. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

Thanks! It will be composite as I am trying to budget, I have a 5" vga screen on the way but that will be for another project down the line.
  13. Bigbutcher

Worklog PSBlock Rev2

After enjoying my newly made portable I have decided that I cannot be satisfied and must aquire perfection! I have several things i want to change, here is a list of the goals for this revision. Completely redesigned from scratch but remaining faithful to it's blockiness. Larger 4.3" screen I...
  14. Bigbutcher

PS2 refuses to turn on with batteries

I'm pretty sure you have just wired ground and power to the same place which is not a good idea, the black wire should be going to ground. Any of those bare copper areas can be used as ground or check the trim guide for pads. The red wire is correct though. Edit: That also looks like a rocker...
  15. Bigbutcher

PS2 refuses to turn on with batteries

what pms are you using? you can try plugging dc into the pms as with mine it won't run off batteries unless you momentarily plug dc in. if i shorted or disconnected batteries at all, it would go into this same state until i plugged it into dc power. Beforehand i would check with a multimeter to...
  16. Bigbutcher

Worklog The PSBlock

When I said i was Finished I was lying, here is the final revision. Basically I sorted out all of the thermal issues by redesigning the back of my portable. It now pulls air in from the back which is a lot smarter than pulling hot air from inside the case and just recycling hot hair over and...
  17. Bigbutcher

Worklog The PSBlock

Realised I didn't put a decent amount of photos of the final build, so here's a clearer look of the sides! It turned out to be around 150 x 140 x 31mm which is pretty compact for a portrait design. Queenie for size reference.
  18. Bigbutcher

Worklog The PSBlock

Thank you for the kind words! She's a looker on the outside just not the inside, I just don't know how you guys get such straight and neat wiring without hot glue lol. The hot rod red also reflects how poorly i dealt with the thermals, seems to overheat and shut off after a while since i...
  19. Bigbutcher

Worklog The PSBlock

Alright, I think I am at a comfortable point where I can call this Finished. I have a couple long term issues I need to address, namely thermals and wiring (It's an absolute rats nest). I decided on Red and black and not blue and white, it kind of looked like a fisher price toy. I much prefer...
  20. Bigbutcher

Worklog Benge BS2 Portable PS2

Awesome stuff! Good choice of game to test with too :) It's my favourite PS2 game for sure.