Search results

1. jefflongo

Jeff's Wii Micro

Posted some new pictures of some new builds I made as commissions, adding SD card and bluetooth.
  2. jefflongo

Question Identification of X1 component

I think you are confusing an active oscillator with a passive one. An active oscillator will indeed have power supply pins; it generates its own clock output and feeds it to the processor. A passive oscillator resonates with help from the processor. No external power supply is needed. A typical...
  3. jefflongo

Question GC+ Data Line Stuck at 3.3v

You are correct that there is a pull-up resistor array for the data lines for the controller. The GC controller protocol is open drain so the controller drives the line low for its communication. I doubt that you have a "bad" GC+, they test them before shipping them out. I would double check the...
  4. jefflongo

Wii chip connector problems

The way you remove these bridges is by adding a lot of flux, then drag your iron along the pins outward to "guide" the solder out. Adding a lot of flux is the key. You can also drag your iron to the adjacent pins and try to distribute the excess solder to the other pins. If all else fails (i.e...
  5. jefflongo

Question Om6 Bluetooth relocation is not working

Post some updated pictures?
  6. jefflongo

What are you doing to test it? Are you able to enter the Wii system menu? Also, I would improve those solder joints on the via or revisit your technique if that's the best you got after 3 tries.
  7. jefflongo

The way I do it is to tin the magnet wire (burn off the enamel at the tip), trim the wire tip to length with flush cutters, stick just the tip into the via, add solder to the tip of my iron, and put the iron on top of the via + wire, making as much contact with the via as possible. You also want...
  8. jefflongo

Worklog Ashida Worklog

Rule of thumb, don't use solder wick on SMD components with the intent to remove all of the solder. It won't happen. It's fixable but it depends on your skill level and patience. What you will have to do is heat the bent pins, and push them back into place with tweezers while the solder is...
  9. jefflongo

The data 1 pin doesn't even look soldered
  10. jefflongo

Question Safety Tips while working on portables

For hobbyist soldering, a fan to blow away the fumes (preferably out a window) and not touching your face/washing your hands when you're done after handling the solder is more than adequate. If you care a lot you'll use a fume extractor instead of a fan. You will not get sick from soldering...
  11. jefflongo

Worklog Ashida Worklog

1. I don't quite remember what 1.8v is used for on the PMS besides pulling up the Wii i2c rails, it's possible that that's all it's for. Maybe just use like a 26 awg wire just in case. 2. Neither, really. What I did in my ashida is connected the battery clips in parallel and then had a single...
  12. jefflongo

Worklog Ashida Worklog

Quick tip, since the PMS lite is not powering the 1.8V rail (and just needs the 1.8V as a reference), you can use a much thinner wire for it. If you handle the batteries safely then there is little risk of frying things. - Never solder to the PMS (or really anything, for that matter) when you...
  13. jefflongo

Solved Which Gamecube joystick should I buy?

If it's the plastic stickbox (newer) then you can remove the stickbox without any soldering, and remove the potentiometers separately.
  14. jefflongo

Solved Is my wii fried, and if not how do I fix this

6-10W for a 4 layer, looks like you're using a 6 layer though, so actually around double that.
  15. jefflongo

You can, but keep in mind at 5v input voltage the regulators will draw more current, so you will a power supply that can deliver at least 2 amps.
  16. jefflongo

It's possible that they aren't, after all you weren't _that_ far out of the acceptable input range. If they were still outputting on your last test they could still be fine. Of course it's possible that they are damaged. You'll just have to see when you try with the new power supply.
  17. jefflongo

how to get better at soldering

The thickness of your solder is pretty important. Using really thick solder doesn't work well for SMD. Having and using good quality flux matters a lot too.
  18. jefflongo

how to get better at soldering

Those kits really are good practice. Make sure you're using some quality solder and flux though. I'm partial to Kester 63/37 20 mil thickness and ChipQuik SMD291 for flux. Also make sure you're using an appropriate temperature. I tend to use ~315C and ~350C for areas with a copper pour like...
  19. jefflongo

If you can't get the exact resistance you need you can use two series resistors to give you some more flexibility. But it should be possible to get the right value with one resistor. Pick the value such that if it's a little off the voltage is like 3.35V instead of 3.25V for example.
  20. jefflongo

I would adjust the PTH resistor so that you're actually getting 3.3v. it's always better to be a little over than under. Also, I would add another ground wire or use a thicker wire. The voltage may drop over the wire from the increased resistance of the thinner wire.