Search results

1. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Got slowed down a bit on this, but things are still moving along. After a couple friends took some time to review the design, I went ahead and ordered them. I would've liked to take more time to polish up the silkscreen but at this point it's more important to get some momentum back. And now...
  2. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

It’s been a while. Progress is progressively progressing. But slowly - life gets full sometimes, and hobby projects are the first to suffer. I’ve got the top-side design more or less finalized. Once I’ve got the silk screen done and the overall design checked, I’ll be ordering it and moving on...
  3. mokus

Worklog GameCube Indigo - what color is it, exactly?

This is a question, but also a worklog because I intend to find out if nobody already knows. I'm trying to figure out the exact color of the Indigo GameCube. For a start, I've been exercising my google-fu to see if anyone has already posted information, especially if anyone has matched it to a...
  4. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Got the last part I needed this weekend to test the ZIF connectors. I now have the connectors themselves along with two test PCBs (one flexible, one rigid) from OSH Park. Their flex service only offers one thickness so I added a few layers of "Koptan" tape ("Kapton" is technically a...
  5. mokus

Worklog Can someone help check my work

Totally agree with @jefflongo - persevering and finishing is success! All the people doing super awesome work on this forum started somewhere, and the reason they got where they are now is by just keeping it up. The difference between a pro and an amateur is that the pro has made so many...
  6. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

I'm a bit too tired this week to post much, but progress is still progressing. Here's a quick look at the current state of the top flex. Lots of the latest work is not directly visible - @jefflongo measured some mechanical dimensions for me in Fusion360 where he's designing the overall layout...
  7. mokus

Worklog Another Copy Cat "Louii" Build

Regarding joycon drift - I don’t know if it’s open now due to the virus and whatnot, but I made a warranty claim on mine a while back and it was super simple. I filled out an online form and they gave me a fedex label to print. I slapped that on a box, dropped it off at a local shipping store...
  8. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

It's time now to start more detailed planning for the actual flex boards, starting with the top. I've been working with @jefflongo on integrating this into a portable he's been designing for a while, and it's getting to the point where we need to decide on specific connectors, which signal goes...
  9. mokus

Worklog My first portable Wii

The case is very nice. Excellent work doing that without a printer!
  10. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Minor update - apparently this board's milling is complex enough that Seeed wanted an extra $16 to fabricate it. So now I guess I know their limits on outline complexity for the $4.90 option are somewhere between these two boards.
  11. mokus

Guide Wii Working Currents

Thanks, that’s enough context for my current need - just need to ensure the power connector I select for my flex board can handle the current, so an order of magnitude is good.
  12. mokus

Guide Wii Working Currents

I'm sorry, this is an oldish thread but I was looking at it for reference and have a question. Does the 3.3v line here indicate current drawn with the original 1.8V regulator still in place? And if so, does anyone happen to have information on the maximum current draw of the 3.3v and 1.8v...
  13. mokus

Solved Help with my faulty Wii (strange power issue)

Yes, TP48 is driven by a pin on the GPU. I don't know enough about the startup sequence to say whether that means your GPU is toast or not. One non-toast possibility might be that U10 is not working correctly (it's a 3V voltage detector that tells the GPU when it's safe to turn on). Another...
  14. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Didn't work a ton on it today, but I did push things along a bit more. Here's a mockup of my next PCB order: an alignment test board for the bottom side. The plan for now is to check it over tomorrow and order if it looks good. This one uses the same alignment check strategy as before for...
  15. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Thanks, I'm hoping to keep momentum going on this but if nothing else it's all in the open so that even if I do lose steam others can still benefit from some validated measurements. At some point I'll probably try to convert the altium libraries to KiCad, to make them even more accessible. My...
  16. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

My top-side aligment test board arrived from China today! It took longer than I had hoped for them to start production, but once they did it was pretty quick. The mounting holes are just a tiny bit too large, so there's a bit more play than I'd like in aligning the board to the Wii, so I...
  17. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

Back at it this weekend. I'm just getting started on the back side, so not a lot to report yet. As a teaser, here's a screenshot of my workflow for capturing keep-out areas for board components: In the GIMP I have my copy of the Compendium with a lot of random extra markings and layers...
  18. mokus

Worklog WiirdFlex

I realize I forgot to mention another one of the things I did this weekend. I don't have any pictures because it was a bit tedious and I didn't think of it at the time, but I measured the length of all of the SD traces - both to my intended attachment points and to the SD socket itself, using...
  19. mokus

Question What exactly is the U10 chip?

I ordered the parts but then I got impatient and pulled the original anyway. I can confirm my guess was correct - the original has a 3.0V threshold. Additionally, it is open-drain and has about 160ms delay. edit: improved my timing measurement setup a bit. This particular unit has a very...
  20. mokus

Question What exactly is the U10 chip?

There’s a decent chance that 3.3v threshold part is too high. I’m getting a parts order ready for something else and thinking I might throw in a 3.0V version. Then after a swap, I can test the original in isolation and see if I can figure out more specifics.