Search results

1. Fred Manders

G-Boy won't turn on after soldering the USB data lines for the 10th time

Because the USB C board is charging the batteries and I can transfer games to the internal USB, I'm assuming the board is still fine. Don't know if it could be just the button or button wiring? Do you have some steps that you follow to narrow down the problem that I could try?
  2. Fred Manders

I've replaced the thicker wire with magnet wire for the connections to the USBc board (except 5V, ground and charge) and also to the RGB LED. I've cleaned the boards I worked on with isopropyl alcohol and replaced the magnet wires for the USB data connections. Still doesn't turn on. Shouldn't it...
  3. Fred Manders

Keep in mind that I learned to solder during this built ;) If I need to make other pictures, please let me know. I feel like I'm super close to having a working G-Boy... So excited!! Thank you for your help!
  4. Fred Manders

I've had the pleasure of my G-Boy turning on a couple of times. But so far I've just got one Mario Kart race and one F-Zero race done. After ever time I've used it, something came loose. Which I know has to do with my sub optimal soldering skills. I've fixed the controls that came loose and I've...
  5. Fred Manders

Best charger for G-Boy.

Can confirm that the 96W power adapter that comes with the MacBook Pro 2019 has a 9V 3A supported output and works for charging your G-Boy!
  6. Fred Manders

Best charger for G-Boy.

Just finished building my G-Boy!! (Skipped the audio and VGA part for now) It's working!!! All I have to do now is charge it and play... I'm charging with my Nexus 5X charger at the moment. Seems a bit slow... Saw somebody mentioning they use a Macbook 12" charger. I have a MacBook Pro 2019 16"...
  7. Fred Manders

Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

Just finished building my G-Boy!! (Skipped the audio and VGA part for now) It's working!!! All I have to do now is charge it and play... I'm charging with my Nexus 5X charger at the moment. Seems a bit slow... Saw somebody mentioning they use a Macbook 12" charger. I have a MacBook Pro 2019 16"...
  8. Fred Manders

Question Fitting a Wii inside a NES

This is the bottom. Does anything seem off?
  9. Fred Manders

This is what I did for the NES power button. So after trimming my Wii, I checked the resistance on the voltage lines. They were similar to before the trim. So I went ahead and attached the power cable to my trimmed Wii. I found 2 pins on the MX chip giving me 3.3V on standby, so I decided to...
  10. Fred Manders

Thanks for the response! I've read that thread and I have studied the compendium in the full GIMP file with layers. I feel confident about rewiring the controllers and that thread even mentions the Reset button via. I just wanted to double check that one and get feedback on the power button and...
  11. Fred Manders

I know "custom" trims aren't recommended. But I saw this trim from @jefflongo on his Wii Micro (https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/jeffs-wii-micro.2288/) and the suggestion from @cheese made on this...
  12. Fred Manders

While I wait for my parts to arrive to continue on my Summer Competition Build, I wanted to get some practice in with Wii motherboard trimming and relocating things on the board. To practice, I'll be using my 6 layer Wii. I want to fit it into an old NES, with the port intact at the back and the...
  13. Fred Manders

Worklog Frii Lite

Credit goes to @Gman, as I used his Solidworks files from the G-Wii as the base for my design. So I didn't have to 3D design all the components (batteries, OMGWTF trim, screen, etc). After that, I've watched a bunch of HowTo Fusion 360 videos :) I hope to obtain a 3D printer soon and do a first...
  14. Fred Manders

Worklog Frii Lite

This is my first go at 3D designing... I'll probably start with just printing the top, try to fit the components and make adjustments from there. Will have a look at the Switch sticks as well. So far I've cut two batteries to have the device be thin in the middle, with just two grips sticking out.
  15. Fred Manders

Worklog Real Boy

I just had to look at a video of what the Virtual Boy was... Looks like a very cool project!! Good luck!
  16. Fred Manders

Worklog Frii Lite

I'm gonna try and finish the 3D model this weekend, then I can give an estimate of the thickness. But I might first go for very thick, put everything in and see where I can slim it down. Might have to go for either two batteries (instead of four) or a thin one (although they get quite hot I've...
  17. Fred Manders

Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm buying the necessary tools mentioned in the description of the G-Boy in the Bitbuilt Store. Now I was wondering, could I get away with buying just the Atten AT8586 rework station? Instead of buying Hakko FX-888D/Weller WE1010 AND an Atten...
  18. Fred Manders

Worklog Frii Lite

So it begins... The day started with a lot of fails. I can't remember how many times I've formatted my microSDs into 32kb clusters, moved the corresponding files to them, letterbomb and try to run the cheese installer. After a lot of fails, I tried to "format" the Wii. My Wii's are all in...
  19. Fred Manders

Worklog Frii Lite

Hey all, Welcome to my first worklog of my first Wii portable. I have the nasty habit of renaming my device to include part of my name. At home I have Fredbook Pro, a Surfred Pro 3, a Airport Frexpress, you get it... So let's welcome the future member of this family, the Frii Lite! My...
  20. Fred Manders

BitBuilt's 2020 Summer Building Competition

Hello people! I've been reading these forums for quite a while now! A year ago I finally registered an account and now I feel somewhat ready to join this competition. This is my first post on these forums and this portable will be my first portable. My only experience is building a Raspberry Pi...