Search results

1. Retro95

Ps2boy

This is absolutely beautiful!
  2. Retro95

Question Planning on building a Wii portable but have never touched a soldering iron and have no idea how to even start approaching this.

The magnitude of this project is huge for someone just starting out. Id recommend dialing it back a bit. I love the enthusiasm but I've seen a ton of people start off full speed ahead, then burn out from frustration. Let's start at the beginning. Do you have tools? You can check out...
  3. Retro95

Worklog Wii top/portable advice welcome

Check this out if you're interested. Wesk has taken a lot of the hard work out of some things and made entering the hobby a lot easier. Wesk's party box
  4. Retro95

I was hoping to avoid this; HELP!!

That's fantastic news Labrat! I'm so glad it worked out!! That's the really awesome thing about this community is we all help each other out when we can. We won't ask for you to repay the favor, but to pay it forward instead by helping others down the road if possible.
  5. Retro95

Worklog PS2BOY

Oh wow! That's so freaking cool!
  6. Retro95

2023 Summer Competition Results and Prizes

Congrats everyone! That was a lot of fun and I learned a lot with my project. Really cool to see everyone's amazing ideas and I can't wait to see next year's endeavors.
  7. Retro95

Soldering looks fine. Still need to reduce the amount of exposed wire if possible, but much better than before. Are you still getting dropped voltage at the Wii after resoldering? If you're still getting voltage drop on the Wii, but not on the PMS after resoldering. Then your issue is either...
  8. Retro95

If it's not posting, but getting voltage to the board correctly. Id recommend redoing your solder joint for the U10 wire on the PMS and the Wii side and see if that allows it to boot properly. Do you have another TV you can connect it to? Normally when Wii trims aren't posting correctly. It's...
  9. Retro95

Interesting choice using the SMD capacitor for ground. Try resoldering it to a GND screw post and see if the image posts correctly. Also, do you have your U10 emulator wire soldering to the Wii? That's required to boot.
  10. Retro95

Progress!! That's a very interesting image on the screen. It's at least outputting.... Something... How long is your AV cable? You're still using an RCA and composite video?
  11. Retro95

You could try larger gauge wires for better voltage delivery. Also make sure your battery voltage is 3.6-3.7 volts.
  12. Retro95

Wait. Are you using smaller than 22awg for the battery terminals? Those need to be 22awg MINIMUM. I use 18awg for my battery terminals. All power from PMS to Wii, grounds, and battery wires need to be at least 22awg or you'll have power feeding issues.
  13. Retro95

MFW (pic related)

I know and I'm getting increasingly sweatier
  14. Retro95

MFW (pic related)

Waiting for the voting to conclude and see which one of us won first place:
  15. Retro95

What do you mean? Troubleshooting is half the fun! Haha jokes aside, I killed 2 Wii trims before I got my third working. I had to rebuild my ashida entirely because I had a mystery short that only appeared when I closed both halves and screwed the unit together. @Stitches actually helped me...
  16. Retro95

Well at this point it seems the issue would be with the wiring or the PMS. Id recommend de-soldering the wires on the PMS but leave the fan and battery wires soldered. Then clean the PMS with a tooth brush and 99 percent isopropanol alcohol. Then check all rails against ground for shorts to...
  17. Retro95

Not quite like that, check voltage on the Wii itself. Place your red probe on one of the Wiis voltage points. Like 1.15v or 3.3 for example. Place your black probe on ground on the Wii. Measure the voltage you are actually getting at the Wii, through your wiring. Then compare against what it...
  18. Retro95

What viilmo said. Check the voltage wire to ground on the Wii. If anything is lower than 5 percent of what it should be (like 3.3v is actually 3.13 or lower) it can cause issues. Are you using flux when soldering? Some of those solder joints look cold and others look a little burned. That can...
  19. Retro95

Have you confirmed that you are not experiencing voltage drop on the Wii? Id measure your voltage rails AT the Wii and make sure everything is within 5 percent of the output power from the PMS. Anything lower and the Wii might not boot. Also, can we see your wiring? Some high quality photos...
  20. Retro95

Worklog PS2BOY

You're welcome buddy. I'm always happy to help out another enthusiast. Lemme know if you need anything else printed for your project.