Search results

1. The Save State Gamer

A cheap 15€ Soldering Station

It looks decent, but be aware that cheap soldering irons have notoriously bad quality. It will be impossible to say whether this a good or bad iron until someone buys it.
  2. The Save State Gamer

Hoenn National Pokedex Gameboy

@nobble Of course you can, if you shutdown Pi 3 on-board hardware and are interested only in the processor. 2A is a nominal current draw for a more capability filled setup. @Noah The project can only be "beefed up" if it has more capabilities, not just if it uses a better processor. An i9...
  3. The Save State Gamer

Question Carb board wii portable?

If you want to make a cardboard case for the simple purpose of sizing a real one to be made out of sheet abs, do so. Cardboard is cheaper than sheet abs, and even BenHeck recommends using cardboard to size a case. But, using cardboard as a real case for real components is not recommended, yet...
  4. The Save State Gamer

The Pi 3 draws 2A nominally to support ports, board features as bluetooth and wifi, and a stong processor. The Pi Zero draws 200mA nominally , one tenth of the Pi 3's current draw, to support esentially only a processor. Let's look at this from a design perspective. This portable will only...
  5. The Save State Gamer

I still suggest, using logic and facts, the following: 1. Remove the ports and trim the Pi board. 2. Use a 3.5 inch hdmi screen. Pi composite is benchmarkably (worse than original consoles on a CRT) trash. Wire it by hand, board to board. 3. Use a teensy and include analog. If you don't...
  6. The Save State Gamer

Question Carb board wii portable?

Maybe take something like a small usps box and then cover it with abs goo, kinda like paper machet. Then cut the back out with a dremel and build inside. You could wash the cardboard out with water if you wanted to. The main problem would be getting to get the abs to cure though. You would...
  7. The Save State Gamer

A Side Project

You are completely correct. Thanks for clarifying this. :)
  8. The Save State Gamer

A Side Project

Meh, just use BerryBoot, as it allows you to keep multiple OS's on the same card and boot from them individually. Also, you can build RetroPie on top of full Raspbian and then also install Kodi in RetroPie. This would seem to accomplish your goals as well.
  9. The Save State Gamer

Question Controller help with Nintendo Switch-like Raspberry Pi Console

I don't personally know, but I do know that people elsewhere are working on it. Check the retropie forums and the retropie github for more info.
  10. The Save State Gamer

Worklog My first wii "portable" - Tabletopmii

Just do the regular omgwtf trim but without cutting off the av. Gc is hard to say as including those ports still might be a problem.
  11. The Save State Gamer

Ultimately, you could just buy official Nintendo Switch Joycons and then design the portable with them in mind. Work has already been done to make the Joycons RetroPie compatible, but still look into the software aspect before deciding on this. But, If you really want something completely...
  12. The Save State Gamer

Portable Kits?

There are already kit portables coming out in the Raspberry Pi world. Take your Zero, and your DMG case, get this board, solder it, woo you're done. But the Pi is already something much less complex unless you try to make it complex. Examples: Using a Teensy and writing extensive code...
  13. The Save State Gamer

Question Video Signal Issues

Shot in the dark, but what reference ground is the screen signal ground connected to?
  14. The Save State Gamer

Worklog Nontendo Woi - My first portable

Based upon your questions and plans, I'm going to recommend to you that you read through everything on this forum relevant to your project. Now I say this because not trimming a Wii will be rather disappointing due to the aforementioned poor battery life, and the simple fact that your portable...
  15. The Save State Gamer

You could also use male and female header pins as long as you don't rely on them for structural support.
  16. The Save State Gamer

Actually, this sounds more like a Virtual Boy or a modern VR helmet setup than anything else.

Actually, this sounds more like a Virtual Boy or a modern VR helmet setup than anything else.
  17. The Save State Gamer

Like a plug in and play tv games console?

Like a plug in and play tv games console?
  18. The Save State Gamer

Need help with setting up my amp to switch from speaker to headphones when plugged in.

32 guage wire is great fo small signals like bluetooth or wifi. But speakers aren't just receiving data; they are being physically driven by current flow. Keeping this in mind, you need wire that can handle at least as much current as what your speaker is rated for. If your wire is too small...
  19. The Save State Gamer

Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Screens: RetroPie (I'd presume you would use it), and the Raspberry Pi in general doesn't really give a clear composite output. If you want to use a composite screen, then go for it. However, I do recommend a HDMI screen. Most of the small HDMI screens are marketed to work with the PI anyway...
  20. The Save State Gamer

Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Finding good information about PI portables is damn near impossible, so don't feel bad. Controllers for any raspberry pi device can be accomplished in two seperate ways. First, if you don't need analog you can attach buttons directly to the PI's gpio and use an adafruit program to map the...