Search results

1. Tech Flare

Worklog Attempting to put a Wii in a Wii U Gamepad

Wow this is awesome! I'll definitely take a look at these videos. I've been at school and I'm graduating soon, so I haven't had time to work on this project, but I plan on eventually finishing it one way or the other. Hopefully these videos can help me out.
  2. Tech Flare

Ok, I tested the voltages while the wii was powered on, and everything looks good. The wii is definitely outputting some sort of video signal, it's just a blank black screen. When I turn off the wii the monitor shows that the signal was lost. After doing these tests, I desoldered all the wires...
  3. Tech Flare

Thanks for the tips. I'll try re-sanding the board and cleaning some things up to see if that fixes the issue.
  4. Tech Flare

It's been a few days since my last update, but unfortunately, I have not made much progress. I soldered the PMS to the Wii, the battery to the PMS, and the composite video cable to the Wii in order to test it. I also soldered the U10 wire from the Wii to the PMS. Here are some pictures of the...
  5. Tech Flare

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try to eventually make a good 3D printed shell for all the components, but as of now I don't have the time. I want to get everything working at least before I go back to college, and then maybe if i'm home for a weekend or over a break I will have time to...
  6. Tech Flare

After a bit of patience and a lot of solder wasted, I think I have finally soldered all the power wires to the Wii. Here is a picture (i'll be adding electrical tape later on to prevent shorts ofc): I know my solder work isn't very good, but hopefully it is good enough to get everything...
  7. Tech Flare

I have a lot to update you all on today! For starters, my new Wii arrived and I got it softmodded and made sure it was a 4-layer board. After that, I trimmed it. Here's a picture of the trim: There's a pretty large mark on the bottom left corner in the second picture there, does anyone know...
  8. Tech Flare

Also, the boards I purchased to break out the small blue ribbon cables (for the controller buttons) on the left and right of the gamepad turned out to be way to big, so I'm at a difficult spot as to what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on a breakout board I could purchase or what I could...
  9. Tech Flare

The screen came in today! I did have to tear off the left, right, and bottom sides of the original screen barrier, but it was quite easy. I took some scissors to each corner and bent each side until it ripped right off. I do have a couple quick questions. First, what would be the best way to...
  10. Tech Flare

Gotcha, I appreciate you adding that to the website. I know I should have realized that a 6-layer Wii was a bad choice, but for beginners getting into this Wii portable community it can be very daunting and easy to miss something important. I have decided to purchase a 4-layer Wii off of Ebay...
  11. Tech Flare

I am using a 6-layer because that's what I happened to purchase. I didn't see anything anywhere that said the RVL-PMS boards didn't support 6-layer boards, so I didn't think it was a huge deal. There should definitely be something on the 4layer website that says the boards don't support 6-layer...
  12. Tech Flare

I've been hard at work today sanding my Wii motherboard and wiring up all the components in order to get to a point where I could test everything. After getting everything wired up, however, the PMS-PD-LITE board powered on and the fan started spinning, but the Wii did not output any video. I...
  13. Tech Flare

Welp, I did it. I trimmed the motherboard. This was honestly incredibly stressful as it was my first time trimming a Wii Motherboard as well as my first time using a dremel, but I think I did an okay job. The only part of the board that may be messed up is the bottom right section where the...
  14. Tech Flare

Since my last post I decided not to begin trimming the board yet as I didn't have all the components necessary to test it after the fact to make sure it works. I just purchased all the components I will need and updated the original post as I made a few changes. The most notable changes are a...
  15. Tech Flare

Quick update for everyone, after some delay I finally got a USB flash drive that works (the recommended SanDisk one which can be found here). After confirming that the USB drive worked, I disassembled my Wii, removed the WiFi card, and tested to make sure everything worked. Sure enough...
  16. Tech Flare

I will keep this in mind, but I'm not sure if I will have enough space to fit them in my system.
  17. Tech Flare

Very cool to see someone else try the same project idea! What kind of batteries did you use for your system?
  18. Tech Flare

Very interesting, I might look into that more once I get further into my project and have a better idea about whether i'll even be able to fit wifi in my system.
  19. Tech Flare

Ok, it's almost definitely a problem with my USB stick then. I haven't started any of the wiring yet or cutting of the motherboard, but the USB stick i'm using is very old and cheap. I'll probably pick up a bigger and higher quality one soon and see if I can't get the system to be more stable...
  20. Tech Flare

Quick update on the happenings of my build and a few questions: I have been hard at work trying to get all the software setup since my last update, and I have had a lot of success but also a lot of issues. I have installed a number of apps as well as a few games to test to make sure they work...