Search results

1. Dmcke5

Question What age is normal for making a portable

In my short time here, the main thing I've noticed the younger guys that didn't last long have trouble with is expecting help instantly. Just remember that most of the people on here that are going to provide help likely have a job to attend (not too mention families etc) and may be in a...
  2. Dmcke5

MRKane's final portable [KeyLime Pi-Rate Station]

Good work pulling it all together regardless of the broken screen. Sucks, but at least it should be minimal work to replace! Glad my code was of assistance to you! Good luck in the competition!
  3. Dmcke5

Gameboy PiPocket Zero

I am planning to release files for this project at some point in the future. I have updated this project to use a CM3 module as the zero was lacking a bit in the power department. There is a fair bit of SMD soldering involved in this project, I wouldn't really recommend this as good beginners...
  4. Dmcke5

Gc+ alternative for raspberry pi?

I did a quick google search and it does look like it wouldn't be hard to modify the code to work with a Teensy. This link gives a bit of an example: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html Based on that link, I'm pretty sure all you'd need to do is comment out the joystick library and...
  5. Dmcke5

Probably? As long as they are fully supported in Arduino then it shouldn't be a problem I guess. The question really will be over the library that I've used and if it is compatible with the board. If you've got one handy, give it a go for us and report back if it works!
  6. Dmcke5

Worklog Portable J4125

I'm not going to have room for a dedicated display driver board so whatever display I choose will have to be driven by an open source display controller that I can integrate into my PCB. The 1024x600 displays are still TTL which means I can use the TFP401 DVI encoder design that adafruit makes...
  7. Dmcke5

Worklog Portable J4125

Just search YouTube for "J4125 gaming" and you'll get a reasonable idea of what it can run. I suppose it depends on what you consider modern too. It'll handle Amoung us just fine but I doubt it would even load into cyberpunk lol.
  8. Dmcke5

If you want a plug and play solution, I've put my code on github: https://github.com/dmcke5/Ardupad It is for an atmega32u4 based arduino board though (such as the Arduino Micro), not a teensy.
  9. Dmcke5

Worklog Portable J4125

Nice. I'm keen to see some more pictures of the back of it. Is it running from its own power yet? If you get a chance, can you get some pictures of windows running at 1024x600 for me? I'm planning another windows build in the not too distant future with a screen of that resolution but I am...
  10. Dmcke5

Question Mini USB soldering directly to Raspberry Pi USB not working

Try reversing the two data lines, just in case you have them back to front.
  11. Dmcke5

Worklog Retro Lite CM4 - A StonedEdge and Dmcke5 collaboration

It is already cnc'd aluminium. It's been anodised to give it the colour and finished off with a matte clear coat. We aren't sure if they'll ever be something we build for people. Need to at least get our prototypes working first! Fingers crossed that's soon though!
  12. Dmcke5

Portable pc!

Hopefully you can fit it all in behind the 5" screen, I only mentioned the latte-panda one so you know you've got some other options if you need to make it bigger. Keep up the good work!
  13. Dmcke5

Raspberry Pi Portable Questions

I finally put my controller code up on Github this morning so if you decide to go down the Arduino controller route, feel free to use it! https://github.com/dmcke5/Ardupad
  14. Dmcke5

Portable pc!

Definitely interested to see how this one goes! I've considered the latte panda for the same purpose a few times but haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on it due to how expensive they are compared to other more powerful compact pc solutions. On the subject of the screen...
  15. Dmcke5

Raspberry Pi and rom hack emulation

Yeah, I'm on a Ryzen 5 2600, 32g of ram with a GTX1660 Super and I still struggle to get a playable frame rate out of the first ratchet and Clank game in some places (metropolis, for example). There's definitely other games that run perfectly even on much lower end hardware, but not on a...
  16. Dmcke5

Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm going to need to see a video or something to believe it. I've done a fair bit of googling and I'm struggling to find even one example of someone trying it, let alone having it run with "playable" performance. If you haven't got a video feel free to send your...
  17. Dmcke5

I'm sorry, there's no way pi 4 can currently run Wii and PS2. I've seen some GameCube games that are maybe close to playable, but still far from perfect. Also retropie will absolutely run custom rom hacks. You may have to manually load cover art for the game if you want it, but for any console...
  18. Dmcke5

Heat sink done! This was definitely a fiddly little job to machine but this was the best option I could come up with for cooling in the space we have available. A little blower fan behind should provide more than enough cooling capacity as the cm4 apparently doesn't run all that hot.
  19. Dmcke5

It was just a place that's local to me that does anodising. Not much use to you unless you're in Australia but they are called A Grade Anodising. Nah it won't. I'm going to buy a sheet of thin double sided adhesive and use a knife on the CNC to cut them exactly to size so the colour and...
  20. Dmcke5

Gameboy PiPocket Zero

I've posted a few photos of this on the discord as I worked on it but figured I should post it here now its done! I decided to tackle this project to keep me entertained in my downtime whilst working on the retrolite and to help me progress with my PCB design skills. I designed most of the...