Search results

1. MRKane

Worklog MRKane's final PS2 portable, first competition entry

Need a little help here. While I'm waiting to crash out of the competition for things to arrive, I decided to do a few more tests and start linking a couple of other things up. I've discovered that it can't see any attached USB device :( So wiring a USB is pretty straightforward but testing the...
  2. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

You just don't want me to vote for this! lol
  3. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Airflow helps dry enamel - I should have mentioned that in my above post. Airflow also gets lots of dust in your finish ;) Damn your project is shaping up to be something truly exceptional!
  4. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Before you do strip everything back: Enamel really needs the better part of a week to "bake off" and at that point it usually becomes really hard and durable and consistently has a finish as described on the box. We've still got time in the competition so you might want to wait a little to get...
  5. MRKane

So I spent about a day poking things with a soldering iron and going through all the tests I had planned during assembly. I started to get suspicious that something was terribly wrong just after lunch time because none of the tests had failed so far (and if you're a programmer you know that...
  6. MRKane

So it's been a while up my neck of the woods with a few things I didn't consider coming to play. The first is that I sunk a mounting post through the PS2 so will have to run some power lines for the USB port (it's a prototype) and the second is that I forgot that the memory card had a crystal on...
  7. MRKane

I can't seem to add photos to the prior post. I went about trimming today and had a bit of a whoopsie, but it'd seem that it wasn't in an essential place so I don't have to find another PS2...yet
  8. MRKane

Fun day setting up the screen control! TLDR: Fluffy isn't in this post ;) Turns out some of the guides on which direction the SMD caps should go are mildly misleading, and this is important if you've a basic little low-pass smoothing filter for a screen signal. I eventually asked a friend for...
  9. MRKane

Sorry about that! As it turns out my videos weren't even published! I'm sure after all this waiting and anticipation you'll be disappointed with what's really just a few short videos!
  10. MRKane

It's nice to push on with a project finally, and an admission of being human. And finally
  11. MRKane

So after a shaky start of "but these are beginner PCB errors" followed by "hang on, wait..." I've finally got things working as intended. The code for the WiiPMS is delightfully well structured and has been a pleasure to work with assuming that MPLab wants to play ball.
  12. MRKane

Note: Fluffy isn't in this one yet so feel free to avoid reading it, but the day is young I guess. So I finally had a few of the components I needed show up. I can't believe that I had to wait three weeks for some 220R 1206 SMDs. Still this gives me a shot at my first test-assembly for my PCB...
  13. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Wait...you're going to paint this beauty?! My opinion would be to keep everything with that industrial look (but I am an industrial fan so perhaps I'm biased)
  14. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

It turned out to be easier than I expected, especially given I've already got a background in CAD and 3D design. In saying that I've not got everything up and running yet so I might be about to have a massive faceplant ;)
  15. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

That's a brilliant idea! And I know exactly what you mean about using projects to push yourself - I didn't know how to make PCBs before this, so it was a fantastic opportunity to learn.
  16. MRKane

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Ok, I've got to ask: Why not use milled buttons? Frankly I'd love to have that in mine!
  17. MRKane

Still working away at the designs. The theory here is that it's 10.5mm to the front of the "control depth" as I wish to use the original buttons from the PS2, and with those giant battery holders it means the full depth will be about 50mm which is about the diamater of a beer bottle, so anything...
  18. MRKane

Fluffy is actually a wild Waxeye/Silvereye that I found orphaned just before Christmas, they're self-introduced into New Zealand. While I'll often rehabilitate animals he was only about 8 days old (from what I could figure) when I collected him and I didn't have the conditions to stop him from...
  19. MRKane

I'm going to go to bed smarter tonight for that knowledge! So that strongly suggests that there's something wrong with my "home made copper pads" more than issues with the silicon buttons themselves. Having slept on the problem I've got a few ideas to go back and see about approaching it with...
  20. MRKane

In theory anything that's a pad with a contact should do the trick. I might go about investigating things like broken calculators to see if there's solutions there - but at that thickness I'll nearly be at a squishy tact anyway. More investigation is required, and it's nearly 1am here again. I...