Worklog PPR

<insert pic here>

Several years ago I started work on what would become my last N64 portable.

Kept poking at it every now and then, even switched CAD packages.

It'll be basically the ultimate N64 portable ever built. Posts to follow

Verification board

As the portable involves redesigning the N64 from scratch, I need a way to validate my schematic/layout of this important part without risking hundreds of dollars on the final board. So, this is the board so far - basically a N64 hooked up to custom video processor.

It is intended to directly drive the digital 640x480 lcd panel I've chosen, missing is a lot of stuff which will be updated.

Last edited:
Old design

This is as far as I got in Eagle, which gives you an impression of the level of integration. The design is really crap and has too many loose ends, so I will be redoing it in Altium but may retain some part choices. The case was going to be cut from layers of acrylic but I think I may try something else for the final one.

Rambus Channel routing

I don't think anybody who's tried this has before has ever got it working, and this is probably one reason why. Rambus is very picky and needs controlled impedance traces, with careful attention towards return paths.

Interestingly, Nintendo seems to have overdone the current control program reference. They used two low impedance tracks before a shunt to ground, maybe as a hack for 2layer.

SUPP verification board

This board has all the other random circuits I need to test out before committing to the final PCB. It's not complete, but so far there is:

1. PCM5100 i2s DAC
2. Class AB headphone amp
3. Class D 2Wx2 speaker amp with auto gain control and volume leveling
4. Li-po fast charger (3A)
5. Li-po fuel gauge and charge balancing
6. Kinetis power management/N64 controller MCU

So 3 different I2C controlled devices.

I will edit this post as the board progresses.

Last edited: