Solved GBA backlight mod without converter?

GC64

Portables
I'm thinking about doing the original gameboy advance backlight mod where you take the screen from the SP and use a ribbon cable converter to connect it. I'm sure most of you know the mod I'm referring to. Anyway, is there any way I can connect the SP screen WITHOUT using the converters they sell on ebay and amazon etc? The converters I'm talking about are these things: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142101718225
So anyway to make the converter from scratch? idk, just curious.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
It just a "however many pins" to "however many pins" (like a 60 to 72 pin NES/Famicom) converter. You could wire it up manually, but why? It would make a rats nest and maybe even too bulky to fit in the GBA. Definitely worth the $5.85 to avoid the hassle.

GC64

Portables
I figured that was the case, but I'd have to do a little research to find out where the little wire goes that attaches to one of the capacitors. I know it's definitely worth it to pay 6$ but I wanted to see if I could do it for 0$ and without having to wait for parts from China.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You'll definitely want to do your research before trying that, I've wrecked a couple SP screens with the wrong cable, or just got a cable that was the wrong one... Though it definitely is easier than trying to wire it yourself :P

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I figured that was the case, but I'd have to do a little research to find out where the little wire goes that attaches to one of the capacitors. I know it's definitely worth it to pay 6$ but I wanted to see if I could do it for 0$ and without having to wait for parts from China.
FWIW the one you posted is in New York. :P