Question PortablizeMii, still capable of DVDs?

Wulf

Does PortablizeMii completely disable the drive, or does it just allow it to fail gracefully if absent?

I'm modding a batch of 4 Wiis without Portablizing, but liked the final result of PortablizeMii. Will they still be able to play disc games if I go that route?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
While it technically doesn't disable the disc drive, there are no apps easily accessible to run games from the drive (since the console would freak out if it tried to access the drive when it wasn't there).

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
The point of PortablizeMii is to not require a disc drive.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
You can still go to the Wii Menu and launch disc from there if you really want to

Wulf

Yup.

But I, personally, see no reason not to maintain a consistent user experience across all of the Wiis that I set up.

PortablizeMii is a user-friendly experience with every feature that I want. Should I use something else simply because I'm not ripping the drive out of this one?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yup.

But I, personally, see no reason not to maintain a consistent user experience across all of the Wiis that I set up.

PortablizeMii is a user-friendly experience with every feature that I want. Should I use something else simply because I'm not ripping the drive out of this one?
If you like portablizemii just use it. Leaving the drive connected won't affect its functionalities

Wulf

Oh, unrelated question.

Where is the MAC address stored in the download that the site sends? I'm assuming you guys would much rather I just hex edit the mac address rather than burn 400 MB of bandwidth downloading nearly identical images.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Oh, unrelated question.

Where is the MAC address stored in the download that the site sends? I'm assuming you guys would much rather I just hex edit the mac address rather than burn 400 MB of bandwidth downloading nearly identical images.
If you don't want to download multiple times the pack, simply download the letterbomb installer from the official website: https://please.hackmii.com/

Wulf

Ah, k, I thought it would be used for more than that.

Will do, thanks.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Couldn't you just get a home brew backup loader (like the ones found here) and just put normal discs in.
To quote that site,
Due to Nintendo changing the DVD drive on newer systems, those systems are unable to read burned DVDs. If you have a newer console, you should thus use an USB loader.

We recommend you to use an USB loader regardless due to the huge amount of benefits.
However,
The point of PortablizeMii is to not require a disc drive.