BitBuilt's First Building Competition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah

retired
Portables
It may only be March, but summertime is approaching rapidly. School is winding down for the year and the weather is getting warmer. What a perfect time to sit in your room and mod a console!

This summer, BitBuilt will be hosting it's first ever building competition. The contest will begin (although, it's not a bad idea to start collecting supplies now!) on April 1st (no joke) with registration. Each user will have to register for the contest in advance in order to get a slot. The winners will be placed 1st - 3rd this time around and we'll have great prizes to give out. Not only that, but the winners will also be given these exclusive user banners and the option to have their name color changed much like the staff's are.

The contest will have a very small entry fee of $2. This is to cover the shipping costs of the prizes going out. We will be announcing more in the coming weeks. This contest is exclusively for portable consoles*, a separate contest will be hosted at a later time for general console mods to make sure everyone is included.

To make it obvious who has signed up for the contest and who hasn't, each user who registers will be given this user banner for the duration of the contest:

The current rules for the contest (may be subject to change) are as follows:
  1. ALL work must be done by you. That means no commissioning to wire up your board or make your case. We want everyone to have a fair chance!
  2. The highest placing participants will get first pick at the prize pool. The 1st place winner will get first dibs, then second, and then third. The amount of prizes for each place is still TBD.
  3. A build log, which must include WIP pictures, will be requested upon your project submission. This is to prevent people from cheating. (It's also recommended that you take pictures with a note card or piece of paper visible that reads "USERNAME, BitBuilt Contest 2016")

More information will be coming out in the next few weeks. As we get closer to registration, we'll start revealing prizes and let you know more when we can.

It's going to be an awesome summer!

- The Staff

*Portable does not mean it has to include internal batteries.

BitBuilt's First Building Contest

April 1st - July 29th

BitBuilt's first contest has officially begun! Registration takes place here, and once you're registered you are ready to go.

The rules for the contest are as follows:

1. All work MUST be done by you. That means no commissioning someone to wire up your board or make your case. We want everyone to have a fair shot by doing their own work​

2. The highest placing winners will get first pick for the prizes.​

3. On the closing weekend, a worklog that contains pictures will be requested. This is to prevent people from cheating. (e.g buying portables and saying, "look, it's mine!") It is recommended that you take pictures with a piece of paper that reads "USERNAME, BitBuilt Contest 2016" for authenticity. The attached image can also be printed out and used as a card if you so desire.

The current schedule can be seen below. Slight changes might be made, however the general outline and timeline will stay the same.
Code:
April 1st: Contest opens for registration

April 15th: Registration Closes, the participants signed up will be the ones in the final voting.

July 29th: The contest comes to a close. All users must have an up to date work log and album of their completed projects to present to the judges (the community!)

August 5th: Voting will come to a close. Prizes will begin shipping once winners are notified and pick them.

Note: Prizes are not yet set in stone. If they are lacking something that you would like to see, feel free to let us know! We are open to any suggestions you have to offer. The current lineup is based off of asking people in the TeamSpeak and forums what they would like to see.

PRIZES:

Prizes will be divided into three tiers: first, second, and third as you probably guessed. The first place winner will get to pick a prize from each tier, second the bottom two, and third will get to pick from tier 3 prizes. Each winner will get to pick one prize from their respected tier. Then, the first place winner will be able to pick another prize from the second tier after the second place winner has chosen theirs. The two can then pick from the third tier, and if they pick the same prize, I will use a random number generator (1-10) and the closest person will win. This drawing will be done LIVE on Skype so that there is no accusations of rigging the contest at all. Now, onto what you really wanted to see:

Tier 1:

64drive:
Marshall was displaying his newest 64drive at MGC, WiFi module and all, and it was amazing. This bad boy will be up for grabs for the person who places first!

Midwest Gaming Classic 2017: Many BitBuilt members attended MGC 2016 and it was an amazing experience to say in the least. Some people are set off by the high price of a hotel room and a ticket, but fear no more! We will literally pay for your stay and MGC ticket for the 2017 convention! (PRICE OF TRAVEL NOT INCLUDED!)

Tier 2:

GCVideo: (TIER MIGHT CHANGE DUE TO PRICING BEING UNKNOWN AT THE CURRENT TIME) Want to have a GCVideo in your console/portable? Now is your chance to get one for free!

Free SS Commission: Yes, that's right. Ever wanted to get your console so sexually trimmed by the GODDAMN SHOCKSLAYER but never got the chance? Well, the time is now friends!

ULTRA HDMI: Yeah, another N64 prize. Who needs N64 with the Wii, right? heh This prize will be a fully paid for installation, provided by BadAss Consoles. BitBuilt will be paying for your own console to be shipping off to the one and only @megalomaniac to have an UltraHDMI installed.

Tier 3:

BitBuilt Store Gift Card:
When launched early this summer, the BitBuilt store will be your one stop shop for all things portablizing. N64 analog converters for first party controllers? Got 'em. MEGAdrive installs? We can do them. Custom boards designed by the community? You bet!

MORE COMING SOON

Last edited:

watsug

Can I enter with a portable that work has already started on? Or is it only for new portables started after april 1st?

Edit: Forgot to say how awesome it is that you are throwing a competition like this!

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
Can I enter with a portable that work has already started on? Or is it only for new portables started after april 1st?
As long as it's not like 90% finished you're good. Realistically there is no way for us to tell when you started it anyways. ;)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I'm gonna join for sure, I mean, why not put this information to use that we've been gathering on the Wii :P

Mooper

Count me in. I need a good kick in the ass to get things done, so this works.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Sure I'm down to clown with this. Might be the only non-Wii/GC entry so better bring in the variety. <3

Noah

retired
Portables
Updated the first post with some additional information about user banners and the contest.

Glad to see so many people are interested! :D

splain

Neat! So when you say "This contest is exclusively for portable consoles" does that mean it's just for making portable versions of otherwise-non-portable consoles? When I read it I thought "oh cool, game boys and the like" but the comments so far suggest it's for portablizing.

Noah

retired
Portables
Neat! So when you say "This contest is exclusively for portable consoles" does that mean it's just for making portable versions of otherwise-non-portable consoles? When I read it I thought "oh cool, game boys and the like" but the comments so far suggest it's for portablizing.
Yeah, it's just portablizing home consoles that don't already have batteries and screens and such ;)

There will be a design contest at a later date that will range from custom paint jobs to full out console mods such as this:

Last edited:
Portables
When does the contest end? I'm in over my head with uni work until beginning of may :\. And would a raspberry pi portable be a valid entry?

Noah

retired
Portables
When does the contest end? I'm in over my head with uni work until beginning of may :\. And would a raspberry pi portable be a valid entry?
Sure it's valid. The contest is currently planned to end on the last day of June with prizes shipping out July 7th. Voting will take place that entire week for who wins what. :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The contest is currently planned to end on the last day of June with prizes shipping out July 7th. Voting will take place that entire week for who wins what. :)
Hey that's one day before my birthday! Count me in!

Status
Not open for further replies.