Question Help! New into WiiPortable

I would like to know the basis or some links to tutirials
i want to build a wii laptop
what do i need to buy?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Thanks for coming to the forum. If you are looking for tutorials you should check out the Wii Trimming Guide.

If you are looking for a complete step by step guide for everything in a single tutorial, you are out of luck. There are guides for various aspects of portabilizing (such as trimming and powering the wii or making a case) but I would suggest you lurk more in the forums and go and read all of the posts about the wii. Coming here and asking a question without doing any research won't get you very far.

Everyone here is willing to help but they aren't willing to hold your hand and powder your bottom. If you are really a noob for everything then start doing your research. If you know nothing about electronics check out this thread.

You should also check out @Shank 's noob thread.

This helped alot, thanks noah. I was gonna ask the same question as this guy, but i thought i was going to be cyberbullied for being a noob at such an advanced website.

@Noah Do you have any threads that i can start researching on? Im new to EVERYTHING, and ultimately, my dream is to have a Wii in a gameboy case like gman has done. Its amazing. But anyways, do you know anywhere to start for portablizing a wii? I dont know what soldering is, what the circuits names are, or anything. Im new, and ive always loved electronics

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Ryan E.

Ive told this story a thousand times, but I feel its relevant:
About 3 years ago, I looked at a diagram ShockSlayer made, and noticed it had GND written all over it. I asked myself "wait, isn't this supposed to be a portable? Portables don't need to be connected to the ground." I had no idea that GND meant 0v (like the minus end of a battery), which differed from earth, the third prong on AC plugs, which is the safety line. I had no idea how to solder, or anything electronics for that matter.

Portablizing is a great way to learn electronics, but before you go out trying to trim a Wii to its smallest, consider taking on smaller, simpler circuits, so you don't waste money destroying boards. You should try simpler circuits to learn the basics, and work your way up from there. I personally found youtube videos to be the best way to learn the basics.

Collin's Lab has an excellent tutorial video on soldering
AfroTechMods has many tutorials that are great for learning the basics in short, easy to follow and entertaining videos
ElectroBoom is great too. He also screws up and hurts himself quite a bit, and doesn't edit it out, so you know what NOT to do.
Great Scott has a good video discussing the dangers of lithium batteries.

There are many more videos and guides on the internet you can learn from. If you show effort that you are trying and hit a dead end, the guys here are pretty cool and willing to help. They only really lash out at you when you clearly show you have made no effort to help yourself first.

Kojo

Those Collin's Lab videos are great for knowing what you need to get started. I have a general idea of what I want to do for my portable but I'm currently using this practice kit to learn the basics of soldering properly, learn how to read resistor values, and how to remove ICs. It comes with a handy guide, too.

Portables
At this point I'm looking at other build logs and waiting for a mega guide. Still pretty fun though :)

@Kojo thanks, thats pretty cheap aswell. Ill get it to start. Does the wires already come soldered?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I think we should make a beginners thread somewhere and include all of these. Or maybe sticky them. I feel like these questions are going to keep popping up.