Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this hasn't been asked but how good is the n64 emulator on portablize mii? And is it what's necessary to install Wii wads into the Wii? I at least want to be able to play paper Mario and if I can't emulate it I'd just try to inject the channel in using homebrew if possible

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Not as good as perfectly emulated virtual console, better than nothing.

Kojo

If I'm planning on using 4 rechargeable 3.7V Li-ion battery cells, do I need 2 protection circuits?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If I'm planning on using 4 rechargeable 3.7V Li-ion battery cells, do I need 2 protection circuits?
Depends on your config, if you plan on doing two 7.4v "packs" then yes, you will need 2. Alternatively, you could get one 14.8v protection circuit and power it from that.

Do know, if you are using the PTH08080s on the wii, technically the maximum input voltage for the 1.0v line is 10v.

vv32

Hello I'm planning on doing an omgwtf trim but I dont fully understand how it works.

If I for example wanted to move on of these gc controller ports, do I have to move the highlighted capacitors/resistors in the picture below too?

Or can I just desolder the port and connect it straight to the points shown in this picture below?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Relocating the diodes and other passive components is not required. Just solder the wire to the appropriate data line in the second photo and you are all set.

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
But why did Nintendo put those things there in the first place?
Those are mainly for protection from static because the ports are exposed to the outside. If a static shock went down those lines, it would most certainly fry the port if it was on and running. If it was off, it's not a problem, but since most people plug in controllers while the system is on anyway it can be a problem for them having to replace consoles if they manage to get fried by static.

cheese

Staff member
@HackerBilly
Is PortablizeMii, LetterBomb, Or WiiBrand Launcher the only ways to Softmod a wii that is 4.3U?
Yes, they are the only way (that the general public knows about, there may be unreleased hacks, but we don't know of any). If you are having issues, make sure the date and time are set correctly, double check you input the correct MAC address, and then go to the message board and check around for the past/next couple days. It should be there somewhere. Also you don't need anything in the message board, just the SD card (in fact, if you don't care about any save data on the wii I would suggest you do a system format on it). LetterBomb is similar enough to PortablizeMii, so you can test with that until you find what is wrong.

So When I go and I select a Gamecube Game from PortablizeMii, It will recognize my memory card in there but it will not recognize the Save Data that is on the Memory Card.
I'm surprised it recognizes it at all, it is supposed to have memory card emulation on all the time... Anyway, if you don't need to go back and forth between gamecube and PortablizeMii Wii, you can use GCMM to transfer RAW saves from your memory card to USB. Then you can just use memory card emulation to load the saves from USB instead of memory card.

@Madmorda
When it did recognize it, it would say something to the effect that the data was no good and it would try to create new homebrew data. Then it would think for a while and then it would load up the interface for PortablizeMii, except all the boxes were black. If I tried to navigate the menu, it would say something like "data dump in 3 2 1..." and then go to the regular homebrew menu.
I'm not sure if it was the particular USB stick, or if it was formatted incorrectly (it can be a pain sometimes to get it properly formatted), but that would only happen for one of those two reasons. In particular, windows is the hardest to get it to format correctly (since even if you do everything right, it can still do something wrong for whatever reason).

The one that you'd see on a regular softmodded wii, except it was upside down.
If you install the no-wifi IOSes it will cause the homebrew channel to be flipped upside down and mirrored.

I'm not looking to get that wii working, instead I just want to know if that was a freak occurrence or if you have some info that will stop me from doing whatever I did wrong next time. Do I need to keep trying more USBs? Or was it in the wrong port while modding?
Don't think it was the particular wii, but I can't say for certain... If you had the USB in the wrong port, the install would have failed at one point or another.

Portables
@HackerBilly

Yes, they are the only way (that the general public knows about, there may be unreleased hacks, but we don't know of any). If you are having issues, make sure the date and time are set correctly, double check you input the correct MAC address, and then go to the message board and check around for the past/next couple days. It should be there somewhere. Also you don't need anything in the message board, just the SD card (in fact, if you don't care about any save data on the wii I would suggest you do a system format on it). LetterBomb is similar enough to PortablizeMii, so you can test with that until you find what is wrong.

I'm surprised it recognizes it at all, it is supposed to have memory card emulation on all the time... Anyway, if you don't need to go back and forth between gamecube and PortablizeMii Wii, you can use GCMM to transfer RAW saves from your memory card to USB. Then you can just use memory card emulation to load the saves from USB instead of memory card.
Question 1: Alright. I know that I did have the right MAC Address. I made sure of that several times and I also checked back at least a month and check forward a month each time. I might try to system format it. Neither Person cares about the Saves on the Wii and would just like to have it modded with the homebrew channel. Do you think it might be an internet problem too? I don't fully know how PortablizeMii or Letterbomb works but I was wondering if that could be an issue? They are both connected to the internet though.

Question 2: Oh. It used to actually always recognize my memory card saves for Double Dash but just recently stopped... but I will actually try the GCMM. Where would I go to put the saves for that? Also I'm assuming that Memory Card Emulation is turned off for PortablizeMii(At least mine apparently) So is there a way for me to go into the Settings and change that?
*edits*

cheese

Staff member
Alright. I know that I did have the right MAC Address. I made sure of that several times and I also checked back at least a month and check forward a month each time. I might try to system format it.
Did you make sure the year was right? I've spent more time than I'd like to admit looking for it when I had the wrong year on the system date :blush:

Question 2: Oh. It used to actually always recognize my memory card saves for Double Dash but just recently stopped... but I will actually try the GCMM. Where would I go to put the saves for that?
Saves go in USB:/saves/ and they are in the naming format game_code.raw (eg GM2E.raw for Super Monkey Ball 2, get the codes from here).

Also I'm assuming that Memory Card Emulation is turned off for PortablizeMii(At least mine apparently) So is there a way for me to go into the Settings and change that?
Go into Nintendont, choose USB, then press B to get into the settings, and enable Memory Card Emulation

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
@HackerBilly

@Madmorda

I'm not sure if it was the particular USB stick, or if it was formatted incorrectly (it can be a pain sometimes to get it properly formatted), but that would only happen for one of those two reasons. In particular, windows is the hardest to get it to format correctly (since even if you do everything right, it can still do something wrong for whatever reason).

If you install the no-wifi IOSes it will cause the homebrew channel to be flipped upside down and mirrored.

Don't think it was the particular wii, but I can't say for certain... If you had the USB in the wrong port, the install would have failed at one point or another.
Just to be 100% clear, which port is the right port? If the wii is laying on its side, I had the usb in the bottom port.

I formatted it as described with the clusters and everything, but you think maybe it's just Windows? If it does it again, would reformatting a couple of times help? Or is there a particular program I should use other than the default?

cheese

Staff member
2. Yes, I have them both of my Portable Harddrive. I have Nintendont in my homebrew apps(I had previously downloaded it and left it on there)
So I'm guessing it might just be both of them colliding together? Idk. I do find it strange that it is still reading my Memory Card but not actually reading the save data on it.
That could cause issues since we bundled a custom version of Nintendont with the pack.

Is there a way by any chance to get to set up PortablizeMii to read Memory Cards like normal? Without having to do all the save transferring?
Potentially in the future (thanks for the suggestion, will try to get it in a future version!), but as of now, there is no way to read real memory cards with PortablizeMii.

Just to be 100% clear, which port is the right port? If the wii is laying on its side, I had the usb in the bottom port.
The bottom is the correct port.

I formatted it as described with the clusters and everything, but you think maybe it's just Windows? If it does it again, would reformatting a couple of times help? Or is there a particular program I should use other than the default?
If windows isn't properly formatting the drive, formatting it again wouldn't help... Try GUI Formatter and set Allocation unit size to 32768 (aka 32KB clusters). Also, if you still have the .zip you downloaded of the pack originally, extract it again to make sure no files are corrupted.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yes that capacitor can be removed :)
Dang :T I was hoping that was my problem. My wii has been trimmed, has the u10 and regulators hooked up, but won't turn on. It doesn't get warm either. Any ideas?

Here are my grounds, does anything look wrong with that? If not, I can play with the u10 a bit more in case it's not connecting right.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I spot a couple of red flags.

1. The 5v step up for your battery is labeled for a 2.4A output, if that is true, it should be fine. But many times companies exaggerate their specs. Verify that the regulators are correctly outputting their expected voltages on the wii

2. The edges of your cutting look rough. Sand them down smooth and verify there are no shorts to ground on the voltage lines. You can use an ohm meter. The resistances vary per board but it should not be lower than like 30 ohms.

3. The wires look a little thin for the wiis current and the solder joints don't look like the best connections on the regulators especially.

4. The 3.3v wire you have bridged looks like it may be touching against the 3rd pin on the LDO. You don't even need this wire, the pads are internally connected.

5. You cut the power wire going from the batteries to the regulators

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Did you double check you have a flash drive connected and powered? If you don't then the screen won't come on...
Wait, so even hitting reset won't make the screen turn on without a flash drive? That might've been my problem with the first wii

Status
Not open for further replies.