Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Remove all the components outlined in blue, and then on the top of the board (right below the SD slot in this picture), connect the two pins marked in red together. (Click to see the full size images) Also, sorry for the mess at the top of the board, this was the only decent quality board picture I had...
untrimmed_custom_regs.png untrimmed_custom_regs_bottom.png

Is there a guide for vacuum forming? How is it done?
I havn't done it myself but this video shows the process. and im sure you can find out how to make your own vacuum former online with a bit of perferated thick board and a vacuum

Portables
Trimming down the Stock Wii heatsink; how low can you go?? It's quite a bit smaller than GC heatsink given that the chips are also much smaller. What have you guys used and may be a good alternative to the stock heatsink?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
That's a hard question to answer completely. I've been doing thermal testing with a lot of different setups and trying to determine what's safe and what's unsafe. The Wii can be pushed really far.

For now, the best advice I have to to have something with fins, and some source of airflow, like a fan.

Portables
That's a hard question to answer completely. I've been doing thermal testing with a lot of different setups and trying to determine what's safe and what's unsafe. The Wii can be pushed really far.

For now, the best advice I have to to have something with fins, and some source of airflow, like a fan.
So another cooling question; You said the wii could be pushed pretty far, would it matter if I had a fan on my system pulling air out of the portable, or would it be better to have it pushing it across the heatsink?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Either works just fine, as long as you have a good seal and good airflow.
The stock Wii airflow was heatsink>fan>out, which is easier to get a seal on, but fan>heatsink>out can be as effective or more effective granted you have a good seal and airflow.

What matters is that the hot air is blown out of the case, and doesn't leak and get blown into other parts of the case.

Portables
Another question this time about the custom regulators; are the ti 08080 regs able to power the wii for each voltage (1v, 1.15v, 3.3v and 5v lines)? I ask because I know the GC needed to have a ptr08100 for one of the lines due to increased amperage draw. Just wondering if it was the same for the wii and I didn't see anything on the forum about that. Thanks

cheese

Staff member
Each voltage line on the Wii will be sufficiently powered by the 08080s. The Wii is much more power efficient than the gamecube.

Alright, i'll order one and probably start a work log or something once I have it, another quick question, for audio does my driver board need have audio inputs or can I just wire directly to the Wii and use like a slider to control loudness

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Alright, i'll order one and probably start a work log or something once I have it, another quick question, for audio does my driver board need have audio inputs or can I just wire directly to the Wii and use like a slider to control loudness
You need an amplifier

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, but that's a little big. Most people use smaller amplifiers to keep space consumption low in their cases.

Alright I've ordered an amp which was the smallest i could find, and I also ordered a new wii which I have just taken apart annnnnnd its a CPU-50... which isn't even documented in shanks super guide.. so should I still use the OMGWTF guide anyways?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Alright I've ordered an amp which was the smallest i could find, and I also ordered a new wii which I have just taken apart annnnnnd its a CPU-50... which isn't even documented in shanks super guide.. so should I still use the OMGWTF guide anyways?
Yes, I had a RVL-50, I couldn't find any particular difference with the RVL-60. You can do the OMGWTF trim :)

Safety pfft, but seriously, is there a module you could recommend or is something like this alright for 2 LiPo's?

cheese

Staff member
Any one of these would probably work better in your case, it has overcharge, overdischarge, overcurrent, and short circuit protection.
I'd say go with the 5A version to give yourself a little headroom, its only £0.10 extra (I assume you are in UK since you sent a UK amazon link).

Ok, I'm assuming I'll need a separate charging board or does that board charge as well as protect? *sorry for the barrage of stupid questions, just don't want to waste money on the wrong equipment aha

cheese

Staff member
You'll just need some sort of 7.4v-8.4v power supply since the board does do charging as well. Something like this should work well, as you set the voltage on the plug. You can then also have a choice of what connector you want on your portable to charge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.