Question WiiPlacement(1st mod project)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Forgot to move the thread :P
You can change the title to better fit the new topic of the thread

Kojo

I'm in the last stage of getting my Wii softmod to work.
I think I've done everything I can for my Wii games to be read correctly, but there's something I'm missing.
So far I've:
-Successfully hacked my Wii using PortablizeMii
-Loaded the proper folders with SNES,PSX, and NES roms
-Downloaded and installed Clean Rip so I can backup my Wii and GC games(success!)
-I downloaded Witgui(mac user) and used it to change the ripped ISO files to wbfs, and named it correctly so it's seen by postloader.

Here's where I'm stuck. After choosing my game(NSMBWii) it goes to a black screen for a few seconds, then kicks me back to postloader.
Here's an image of what I'm seeing before I choose it:

I named it
wbfs>
SMNE01_New Super Mario Bros Wii.wbfs

The screen says (neek2obooter [1.1] is loading ..............) for a second before it goes black and resets. Am I doing something to corrupt the file along the way? Could I be using Witgui wrong? I've started over with the same process twice.

Do your gc games boot? Tbh i havent tried running any wii titles, but the program i use on my mac is wii j manager. Super easy to work with.

Kojo

Thanks for everyone's help! I finally have my roms and ISOs running smoothly, so now I can re-build my library and put more research into building a portable one. Now that I can finally play Wii and GC games, is my softmodded one using internal memory for saves or should I get an SD card for that?

Kojo

Oh ok. I got a message from Kirby's Epic Yarn that there wasn't enough internal storage, so it must be with just that game. RE4, NSMBWii, NoMoreHeroes, Twilight Princess and Naruto GNT Ex(the game that fried my original wii)seem to create save files just fine.
Also, I've got the GC naming right, so those are showing up in postloader, too! But when I try to run games I'll just get a black screen and have to reset the Wii. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but do you think it's a bad ISO file? it seems to be a pretty good source, and my roms and PSX ISOs from there work great. I'll keep working on it.

cheese

Staff member
Try running the game in Dolphin (Wii/Gamecube emulator for the PC) to see if it's a bad rom. Alternatively, try opening the homebrew called nintendont and try to run the game through that. If you've still got issues with either of those, it's probably a bad rom...

Also, for the error about not enough space, it's a bug we're trying to fix, it's got something to do with how the size of the drive is reported to games, and it makes random games think there are 0 blocks free. If you have a save for that game, I could write a guide to copy the save from nand storage to the flash drive.

Kojo

I might be able to get my hands on a PC this weekend so I'll try the Dolphin and tell you the results. As for Kirby, it's not something that can't until it's sorted out, but a guide would be cool in case it came up with other games if you have time for it. Thsnks again

Kojo

I've finally gotten the chance to test out some GC isos using Dolphin and they seem to start up fine, so maybe I'm naming them the wrong?
I'm following the directions from the detailed guide in the PortablizeMii section:

games>Killer 7 [GK7E08]>game.iso

and I'm still getting the same black screen with 3 different isos. I've backed up all my games,though so it's really no trouble to reinstall PortablizeMii if no one's run into this before. If there's any other information I can provide that'll help out, just tell me and I'll get it to you asap

cheese

Staff member
Do you have file extensions shown (this article seems to be written like they're directing people who don't know what a computer is, but it gets ya there :P)? If not, you may be unintentionally calling the file game.iso.iso

Im pretty sure i didnt even name the files appropriately or at all and they work fine for me

Kojo

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 9.26.30 PM.png Here's the file info. The extension's shown, and I don't think I added an extra one. Could there be an issue with the Nintendon't emulator in my pack?

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
On postloader press B on the selected game. Switch the video mode to "Auto" and run the game. If that doesn't work try to disable "force progressive" and/or "force widescreen" from the same menu

Kojo

Thanks Aurelio, I didn't think of any settings I could change. But I'm still getting nothing after disabling progressive and widescreen.

What's supposed to happen when I run Nindendont from Homebrew Channel? I thought I'd try running a game from there, but loading Nintendont just gives me a black screen, too.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks Aurelio, I didn't think of any settings I could change. But I'm still getting nothing after disabling progressive and widescreen.

What's supposed to happen when I run Nindendont from Homebrew Channel? I thought I'd try running a game from there, but loading Nintendont just gives me a black screen, too.
Oh that's weird. Are you using the Nintendont version that is included in PortablizeMii?

Kojo

Yep, the only outside app I have now is CleanRip, but I'm not sure if it works very well. Would just deleting the CleanRip file from the apps folder get rid of it?

I also had homebrew browser about 2 weeks ago, but I think it was bugged or outdated because I kept having problems with it, so I reformatted my usb and ran cheeseinstaller. I hadn't tried any Wii or GC games at that point though.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yep, the only outside app I have now is CleanRip, but I'm not sure if it works very well. Would just deleting the CleanRip file from the apps folder get rid of it?

I also had homebrew browser about 2 weeks ago, but I think it was bugged or outdated because I kept having problems with it, so I reformatted my usb and ran cheeseinstaller. I hadn't tried any Wii or GC games at that point though.
Try to delete the Nintendont folder from the apps folder and copy it back again from the PortablizeMii pack