My First ps2 portable power wiring help?

Hi all so I am having trouble understanding Gmans wiring guide as I am not going to be trimming down my 79001 motherboard instead I am going to be wiring it up without a trim as I believe that is the easiest way to do it without screwing things up for good also not having to worry about voltage relocation and other things relocation :D as this will be a great way to begin the hobby i will soon be putting together a worklog to show off my work. would someone be able to give me a visual on how to do it on a motherboard they have wired up themselves? It would really help me get started on this sweet project my plan is to build one just like Mr.Kane did his in 2017 all the same parts and everything already found the exact net play controllers he used alarm clock for the body and the exact screen

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The PS2 trim guide includes pinouts for all the ports. If you aren't trimming the board, you can still make use of those pads for easy soldering

That's the Thing stitches I just really dont understand how to do it I have bought around 5 ps2 79001 portables in the past week for backups however as much as I build other stuff I would like to grow my rep in your guys community portable ps2 consoles have now became my prime focus however I have been reading the forums for weeks and I have been trying to cram as much information as possible :!:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What is it in particular that you don't understand? How to read the diagrams? The soldering process?

Just how to read the instructions I dont know how to wire up the batteries it is hard to follow is there a possible more simplified version?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm afraid that is the simplified version, but I can try to explain it a bit more. You can look at the diagrams like a map with a legend. Each diagram focuses on a specific set of wiring locations, audio/video, major voltage lines, and controller/memory card pinouts are split up and each have their own diagrams to avoid crowding each other out. Since you're not trimming the board, I'll use the audio/video one as an example.

On the left is the legend, which lists and numbers each relevant audio/video data line, as well as a handy 5v and ground location. If you look to the big square computer chip on the right, you'll see some of its legs are coloured and have a number next to them, and two legs on the top have letters next to them. These legs output audio or video data, and the numbers next to the pins match up with the numbers in the legend to tell you what specific data they carry, except for the two legs with letters, they're for a different advanced procedure. The colours are to help visually distinguish parallel data lines, using the standard RCA colours for each data type when possible. Down the bottom are the pads for the PS2's multi-out port. The numbers and colours of these pads match up with both the legend, and the legs on the big square chip. When wiring video to a screen, you would match the video line from the guide to the corresponding pad on the screen's driver board and solder a wire between them, repeating the process until you have all the required video lines plus a ground line connected.

1634432250875.png

Is that any easier to understand? I'm wracking my brain trying to find the best way to describe it.

Yes that is perfect thank you stitches I am a Fool to not notice the numbers to coordinate my solder points 1 last question what would be the best batteries to use for an untrimmed motherboard? This design will be using the netplay controller design just like Mr.Kanes design I was thinking about disassembling a portable battery charger for the battery charging circuit but however I figure its probably not that easy to acquire a charging circuit would you be able to point me in the right direction with that one? With that information plus what you already posted wich is awesome should get me started on creating my first portable and my first worklog :ding!:

cfc_12

Portables
what would be the best batteries to use for an untrimmed motherboard?
18650 battery could be fine, but if you don't like the cylindrical size of it for your portable, Li-Poly battery would then be.

Awesome lithium polymer sounds alot better lipos are longer lasting I definitely thought about that one is there one in particular to your guys knowledge that would be the best for an untrimmed motherboard build?:rothink:;)

So about the 5v to wire up to the screen assuming I can do a follow up on what I believe is shanks guide to make a 12v screen run on 5v how would you wire that up?

Attachments