Worklog The Grippii

deezy

The Grippii is my twist on a G-Wii style portable. The defining feature being the switch pro controller grips, of course. I'm going for comfort above all else, and my goal is to have the end result feel like a pro/GC controller. The design still needs a lot of tidying up, but I have the shell and *general* locations of components. Would not have gotten this far without all the available models/knowledge on here, so thanks everyone. Once I'm done I will definitely share the case files for others to use. Next step: shoulder buttons

grippii_first_draft_front.PNG

-GC ABXY
-GC Joystick
-GC C stick
-SNES D-Pad
-18650 x4
-EYOYO 5" Screen
-CMS-15118C-SP Speakers x2
-RVL-PMS
-USB-C Charging/Data Board
-U-Amp
-GC+ 2.0
-Squishy Tacts
-Dual Tacts x2
-USB Drive
-Headphone Jack

grippii_first_draft_nogrips.PNG

grippii_first_draft_angle.PNG

grippii_first_draft_back.PNG

grippii_first_draft_side.PNG

Beans

Looks great man. I'm currently doing something similar, but using an Xbox 360 controller shell instead. Excited to see how yours turns out!

deezy

This was a lot more work than I thought it would be... but it's coming along! I've added a lot of detail to the face, including bezels, speaker grills, etc. Needless to say this thing will be a hell of a print:
1598048755733.png

1598048802991.png

I'm still working on the shoulders, these seem to be the toughest mechanical challenge thus far. I'm using an SNES controller as reference/inspiration, and I think it will work OK for the R/L buttons. But throwing the Z in there is leading me to this kind of janky setup... Anyone have any tips? Originally I had the hinges for R and Z aligned, but I don't think that will be possible to assemble. So I've done this offset kind of thing, the case will be split along that line, ideally. Brown are the buttons, green are standoffs. I have it so the top standoff for the R is printed on the top half of the case, and vise versa for the Z, kind of a criss-cross thing going on. Will this work/be sturdy?

1598049068184.png

1598049303267.png

1598049047886.png

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Neat. Always been a fan of controller flanks.

deezy

The shoulder buttons work! I'm really happy with how these feel, especially for a first pass.I might replace Z with a clicky button though, it's a bit weird to go from squishy Z to clicky R.

IMAG0401.jpg
IMAG0403.jpg

deezy

Has it really been since August... oh boy. Lost motivation for whatever reason and hadn't touched the project in a while, so I decided to do a little test print for fun. It's not ready to build yet but I'm super happy with the shape and feel! SNES dpad was an excellent choice. Here's some pics:

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg

Definitely want to get through the case design and finally assemble. This was a pretty ambitious idea for my first portable but I getting there