Worklog DSii

Hello,

I am doing a new portable wii.
This time it will be a clamshell. I ordered different sorts of hinge, for a notebook and eepc, but they are quite big.
I plan to use some 3DS xl ones, but they're the last one to come.

The screen I will use is the 5" screen from the store.
For now this is what I came up with (I ripped off the GWII system for the face buttons):

image_2020-11-26_223814.png

image_2020-11-26_223846.png

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Oh ! clamshell, very interesting :D
I think you can 3d print the hinges and make it a part of the case, I have already did this in a case for a 3d printer board and it work pretty good (with a metal rod in the middle).
For the name : DSWii ?
I can't wait to see more

That's a good idea, thank both of you, I was thinking of the Nintendo SS, since it's single screen, but something tells me that the name is not ideal.

Oh ! clamshell, very interesting :D
I think you can 3d print the hinges and make it a part of the case, I have already did this in a case for a 3d printer board and it work pretty good (with a metal rod in the middle).
For the name : DSWii ?
I can't wait to see more
Maybe I'll do that if I don't manage to use the 3DS hinges. it may be quite easier, although I would need a locking mechanism when it is closed.

I'm just starting in CAD (The portable wii was my first), so I see how it goes.

Hello,

There is some improvement in my design.
I now have a working hinge.
It is a DS lite one, I cheated a little by using an oem part.

20201207_211047.jpg

I have a question for the clamshells makers:
Is magnetic wire sturdy enough to be in a hinge? Or should I use some multibraided wire (ie: an old usb cable).

Does someone sees a major design flaw?

Hello,
It has been a while, but I have a working prototype, it is quite confortable to play and well balanced.
However, I'm not entirely happy about the design, so, any advices would be welcome.
It is quite bulky due to the driver board of the screen and the gamecube buttons, but I cannot do much about it in my design.
I wonder if I should remove the "wings" that were designed to protect the joysticks, but I don't know if it would look that much better.

20210201_204213 (1).jpg
20210201_204222 (1).jpg
20210201_204152.jpg

20210201_204334 (1).jpg
20210201_204341 (1).jpg

Hello,
I tested it extensively and I love the clamshell design, especialli with this 4/3 tn panel that have far from perfect view angle.
I have an issue: the single dslite hinge is not enough.
I will use a blocker to keep it open. But if I move it would be closing. I guess I'll have to use some magnet thingy to keep it open.

On an other topic, I think it would be cool to have a bluetooth output for speakers/earphones(I know that the few people from the 90s think that it is useless),
Anyway, for wii audio, it won't be HIFI anyway, so it will never be perfect.

My concern is: whether this would be usable or not.

I purchased a very acceptable bluetooth emitter that could work, along with the jack output. I then would need a switch which would choose between bluetooth and the jack output.

I wonder if that would work for switching between headphone jack/bluetooth along with a mux to manage the sense pin. I would use a classic hardware switch for the choice between bluetooth/jack. https://www.mouser.ch/ProductDetail...term=MAX4910ETE+&utm_content=Maxim+Integrated

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Can't wait to see another version :D
For the BT for audio I plan to use it too I think it can bee really nice !
I did not know that there were circuits which allowed to switch an analog signal, very good to know, I think surely to use some and make a complete PCB with a bluetooth module, that can be a really nice upgrade

Yeah, that's a nice idea, I guess I could harvest the parts from the bluetooth module I bought to make something more compact. I never designed a pcb before, I'll see I got the motivation to get into it.