Can I use a 6 layer motherboard?

I should've probably checked before, but excitement got the better of me. I'm curious if I can still use a 6 layer (or original model) Wii for the G-Boy.

No. While you could theoretically use a 6-layer board, the G-Boy is really designed for a 4-layer board. Besides, you’ll want to use a 4-layer board for most portables anyway. 4-layer boards use a lot less power and produce a lot less heat. If you were to use a 6-layer board, you may run the risk of it getting too hot, and the RVL-PMS has a thermistor to prevent that by shutting down the Wii, so you may also get intermittent shutdown. Here are some of the differences between 4- and 6-layer boards.

No. While you could theoretically use a 6-layer board, the G-Boy is really designed for a 4-layer board. Besides, you’ll want to use a 4-layer board for most portables anyway. 4-layer boards use a lot less power and produce a lot less heat. If you were to use a 6-layer board, you may run the risk of it getting too hot, and the RVL-PMS has a thermistor to prevent that by shutting down the Wii, so you may also get intermittent shutdown. Here are some of the differences between 4- and 6-layer boards.
That's a bit disappointing to hear, nonetheless, thanks for the reply.

Portables
Ah shit. I have three Wii consoles all 6 layer MoBo models. Two I purchased with broken drives for cheap specifically for my G Boy and the third is my original 01 model with WiiKey, so I won't be touching that anyway. It might be a good idea to put this info in the build guide in big ass bold letters for dummies like me.

Noah

retired
Portables
Ah shit. I have three Wii consoles all 6 layer MoBo models. Two I purchased with broken drives for cheap specifically for my G Boy and the third is my original 01 model with WiiKey, so I won't be touching that anyway. It might be a good idea to put this info in the build guide in big ass bold letters for dummies like me.
We've added it in a couple more locations to make it more clear for kit buyers. Sorry for the confusion!

TBrack

I bought some dirt cheap 6-layer boards to practice my soldering and cutting. It's definitely not a total loss to have them around.