Question RGB on NTSC Wii

Mooper

Has anyone looked into the possibility of getting an RGB signal from an NTSC Wii?

watsug

I think PAL and NTSC wii are identical hardware wise, so by replacing the system menu with E version or patching the games it could work?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I think PAL and NTSC wii are identical hardware wise, so by replacing the system menu with E version or patching the games it could work?
The video encoders are different between pal and ntsc consoles, so I guess the only thing that someone could try is to replace the encoder with a PAL one.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The video encoders are different between pal and ntsc consoles, so I guess the only thing that someone could try is to replace the encoder with a PAL one.
Interesting. I was unaware.
Is this based on assumption or confirmed information? Do you have a link to back this up? If so I will certainly add notes on this to the super guide. Its not a "I don't believe you" but a "I want to make sure this is correct"

watsug

This is the thread I based my "hardware identical" on :http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/96453-NTSC-Wii-RGB-UK?p=1546183#post1546183

On my three PAL CPU-01s wii the video chip is labeled
AVE-RVL
BU9055EKV
715 H10 (this is different on all)

And on CPU-30
AVE-RVL A
C8391
0908EFM

Do you have the same on NTSC wiis? I saw cheese's picture of RVK-CPU-02 which had BU9955EKV, but that might be a revision difference and not PAL/NTSC difference.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Interesting. I was unaware.
Is this based on assumption or confirmed information? Do you have a link to back this up? If so I will certainly add notes on this to the super guide. Its not a "I don't believe you" but a "I want to make sure this is correct"
I'm sorry, I've dig more into it and I was mistaken (all the pictures that I found online had the label AVE-RVL, while the ones that I got on my PAL boards are AVE-RVL A, but it seems to be just some kind of revisioning).
Actually it seems to be configurable via i2c, so it might be feasible to configure any AVE-RVL as PAL

Mooper

Can you trace pins 7,9 & 11 on the multi-av port of your pal board and see where it leads ?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Can you trace pins 7,9 & 11 on the multi-av port of your pal board and see where it leads ?
They respectively go to C84, C64 and C69 and then get to pins 53, 57 and 59 of the RVL-AVE chip.

Last edited: