Worklog The eNVeGA 64

I'm pretty sure he gets his pcbs from rdc
I've seen the RDC name get thrown around the forums (long time lurker, haven't really posted). And I can't for the life of me find any way of getting these PCBs, I assume RDC just makes them for Downing? I'd love to get my hands on some.

I've seen the RDC name get thrown around the forums (long time lurker, haven't really posted). And I can't for the life of me find any way of getting these PCBs, I assume RDC just makes them for Downing? I'd love to get my hands on some.
He doesnt use these forums as far as I know
He might still be on modretro. I've gotten a 3ds slider converter from him and a programmed pic chip for the 64 controller
However from my experience of talking to him he can be a little mean. He refuses to teach how to program ics or anything I'd say. Hes done a lot of custom pcbs for downing, but no one else that I can think of? I'd say shoot him a message on modretro. Its worth a shot.

He doesnt use these forums as far as I know
He might still be on modretro. I've gotten a 3ds slider converter from him and a programmed pic chip for the 64 controller
However from my experience of talking to him he can be a little mean. He refuses to teach how to program ics or anything I'd say. Hes done a lot of custom pcbs for downing, but no one else that I can think of? I'd say shoot him a message on modretro. Its worth a shot.
Hmm alright. I may try but it seems as though it may be a pointless endeavor. I'm a mechanical engineer and focused on design specifically in additive manufacturing in my studies, so I'm really open to hacking this thing together as well. I have an OEM controller I'm willing to sacrifice and I just finished desoldering the controller ports, power button and reset switch on my N64 motherboard. I'll end up doing a worklog at some point but I'm still early on in the phase of figuring out my BOM and these PCBs looked sooooo nice and clean.
I may end up just trimming my controller PCB and rewiring and 3D printing some mounting brackets for the cut PCB parts.....

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
RDC hasn't been active in any sort of modding community for a long while. Downing might just have a backlog of stock or something. I think an N64+ Replacement Controller Board (much like the GC+ sold in the store) are in the works though as an alternative.

RDC hasn't been active in any sort of modding community for a long while. Downing might just have a backlog of stock or something. I think an N64+ Replacement Controller Board (much like the GC+ sold in the store) are in the works though as an alternative.
That would be awesome, I saw the GC+ and it's pretty smart. For now I may tear apart a first party controller but it saddens me to do so... Or I'll hold up and start coming up with a BOM for my own portable before chopping it up.

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Hey guys! So lots of progress has been made in the past couple weeks now that the new flex cables have arrived. Below are the reversed and slightly revised version of the Ultra HDMI cables for my Ultra VGA board. These were done through OSH Park's new flex service. Though they work, they are a bit more rigid than the original and they also do not have the stiffener for the FFC connector side. It does hold tight though, but I haven't tested it yet to see if the connection is as solid as it feels. They are also about 10mm shorter than the original.

The next was another FPC board for the cart slot. So tired of so many wires. Though this was designed around a specific N64 portable layout, it still will serve well for future projects.

The castellated ends on the board side made soldering to a fresh board extremely easy.

Test of cart slot flex cable. Worked first try and this was a 5 minute relocation.

So even though this looks like a mess now that it's been torn apart a couple times, I'm hoping for some good test results as I have the time to work on it.